Car Park Manchester, which is not affiliated with Manchester Airport, said it had reported the August 18 burglary but declined to comment further.A spokesman for Manchester Airport said: “We would like to remind passengers that the airport offers a wide range of secure, official car parking facilities, and is also well connected via public transport.”Anyone with any doubts about their car parking can verify it with our customer services team.” “They eventually had to get the car out for us. It was not pleasant. I’m just absolutely devastated because I booked it.”Matthew Griffiths, who also had his keys stolen, said: “Upon visiting the car park I could see they had a rough time. I was greeted by the most kind and apologetic owner of the business. “I’d like to thank the owners of the car park for assisting me with the issue to their best ability.” Cheryl Wilden and Samantha Mercer at Car Park Manchester’s Davenport Green Hall site where their car key was among 130 stolen during a major break-inCredit: MEN MEDIA Holidaymakers using an airport parking service face a bumpy return from their travels after up to 130 sets of customer car keys were stolen.Police said at least four cars have been taken since the raid at the Car Park Manchester site, which serves Manchester Airport.However the full number not known yet because many of the vehicles’ owners are still on holiday. Cheryl Wilden, from Wakefield, West Yorkshire, said she found out her sister’s car keys had gone missing after the pair returned from a holiday in Barcelona.She said they had to retrieve a spare set of keys before being taken to where the car had been left in a “muddy field”.They then struggled to drive the new Hyundai out of the site because it was stuck in mud, Ms Wilden said.”It was horrendous, there were lots of high value cars there. We were quite horrified,” she added. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings.
Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedFormer foreign minister urges Govt to ‘do more’ for Venezuelan migrantsFebruary 5, 2019In “latest news”Abused Venezuelan migrants to get Govt supportJune 14, 2019In “Health”Donations to Venezuelan migrants must be done through CDC, says GovtJanuary 14, 2019In “latest news” In response to the influx of Venezuelan migrants into Guyana, the Civil Defence Commission (CDC) in collaboration with the Department of Citizenship and the International Organisation for Migration (IOM), on Thursday, conducted a workshop aimed at training service providers on international best practice in assisting migrants and protecting them from abuse and/or exploitation of any kind, a release from the Ministry of the Presidency (MotP) said.The workshop was held in the conference room of the CDC’s Thomas Lands office.Having regard to the fact that the issue of migration from Venezuela is a new and emerging challenge for Guyana, the Multi-Sectoral Committee, which was established by the Government to coordinate the national response and assistance, saw the need for capacity building within the said Committee to better equip representatives and agencies to respond effectively to this and other such occurrences in the future.According to MotP, the workshop saw the participation of representatives from the Ministry of the Presidency, Guyana Defence Force, Ministry of Indigenous Peoples’ Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Guyana Police Force, Ministry of Communities, the Immigration Department, the Pan-American Health Organisation, Ministry of Public Health, United Nations Children’s Fund and the United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR).The sessions, which were facilitated by IOM’s Regional Coordination Officer, Mr. Robert Natiello and Programme Officer, Ms. Argentina Santacruz, dealt with issues such as human trafficking and migrant smuggling, migrants’ vulnerabilities, and direct assistance and referral systems for migrants, MotP said.