Mr Levashov’s arrest relates to alleged “hacking” of the US election last year(BBC) Spanish police have arrested a Russian programmer for alleged involvement in “hacking” the US election, Spanish press reports have said.Pyotr Levashov, arrested on 7 April in Barcelona, has now been remanded in custody.A “legal source” also told the AFP news agency that Mr Levashov was the subject of an extradition request by the US.The request is due to be examined by Spain’s national criminal court, the agency added.El Confidencial, a Spanish news website, has said that Mr Levashov’s arrest warrant was issued by US authorities over suspected “hacking” that helped Donald Trump’s campaign.Mr Levashov’s wife Maria also told Russian broadcaster RT that the arrest was made in connection with such allegations.Several cybersecurity experts, including Brian Krebs, have also linked Mr Levashov to a Russian spam kingpin, who uses the alias Peter Severa.Intelligence reportA US intelligence report released in January alleged that Russian President Vladimir Putin tried to help Mr Trump to victory.Mr Trump later commented that the outcome of the election had not been affected.The report said that Russia’s objectives were to “undermine public faith” in the US democratic process and “denigrate” Mr Trump’s Democrat rival Hillary Clinton.Russia’s efforts to this end allegedly included hacking into email accounts used by the Democratic National Committee; using intermediaries such as WikiLeaks to release hacked information; and funding social media users or “trolls” to make nasty comments.However, there were no details of Mr Putin’s alleged involvement with such interference in the report.Mr Putin has strongly denied allegations that Russia tried to influence the US election. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedTrump mocks Russian hacking ‘conspiracy theory’December 12, 2016In “latest news”Obama: I warned Putin over hackingDecember 17, 2016In “latest news”Russia-US row: Putin rules out tit-for-tat expulsion of diplomatsDecember 30, 2016In “World”
Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedNo-confidence resolution: CJ to rule on “majority” and “dual citizen” challenges at the end of JanuaryJanuary 15, 2019In “Court”APNU/AFC Govt remains defiant inspite of CJ’s ruling; says ‘status quo remains’February 1, 2019In “latest news”Court of Appeal to hear stay on High Court rulings on WednesdayFebruary 16, 2019In “latest news” Attorney-at-Law Anil Nandlall interacting with media operatives outside of the High Court hearing on TuesdayAgainst the backdrop of Chief Justice (CJ), Roxanne George announcing that the “majority” and “dual citizen” challenges to the no confidence resolution will be ruled on by the end of January, People’s Progressive Party Civic (PPP/C) Attorney Anil Nandlall expressed happiness with the decision.Speaking to media operatives following Tuesday’s High Court hearing of the challenges outside of the courtroom, the former Attorney General noted that his confidence in the Court is at an all-time high since it recognizes the urgency of the matter.Further, Nandlall noted that if the decision of the Court is to be challenged by the aggrieved party/parties, this matter must also be heard before the expiration of the time frame fixed by the constitution for elections to be held.“I’m very happy that the Court recognizes that this matter must be heard and determined in this Court, the Court of Appeal and the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) within that 90 days period and this is the Chief Justice of the country. And once the Chief Justice says that, I am satisfied that we will have a disposal of this matter, in the manner contemplated by the constitution” Nandlall explained.According to Nandlall, the constitution provides for a timeline to be prescribed in order for matters before the Court to be dealt with in a fair manner.Article 106 (6) of the Constitution states: “The Cabinet including the President shall resign if the Government is defeated by the vote of a majority of all the elected members of the National Assembly on a vote of confidence.”Meanwhile, clause 7 goes on to state that “Notwithstanding its defeat, the Government shall remain in office and shall hold an election within three months, or such longer period as the National Assembly shall by resolution supported by not less than two-thirds of the votes of all the elected members of the National Assembly determine, and shall resign after the President takes the oath of office following the election.”As such, the Member of Parliament (MP) expressed his satisfaction with the Court ensuring that the balance of interest is effective.“We have to balance the interest here. You have a right to be heard by a litigant which must be balanced against the constitutional timeline prescribed and the Court must ensure that both of those competing interest are addressed and dealt with in a fair and just manner so at the end of the day the litigant goes away from the Court feeling that he had his case ventilated, he had his right ventilated, he was heard fairly by the Court and at the same time, the constitutional deadline fixed by the constitution for the elections to be held is also met. So at the end of the day you have both expectations served and justice served again” Nandlall posited.Moreover, the former Attorney General said that “Even if they seek to appeal, that the appeal to the Court of Appeal and the CCJ will be completed while constitutional time is running and concluded before the expiration of date for elections.”
Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedGo-Invest claims no negative impact on investmentMarch 12, 2019In “Business”GECOM Secretariat’s March 2020 election date proposal “shocking”– PSC ChairmanSeptember 8, 2019In “latest news”Gunraj wants sanctions against GECOM staff who failed to cooperate with hiring probeMay 22, 2019In “latest news” Members of the American, British, Canadian and European (ABCE) diplomatic community on Thursday met with officials from the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) during which concerns were raised about the impact the current political situation can have on potential investment opportunities.Speaking with reporters following the more than two-hour engagement, People’s Progressive Party (PPP) nominated Commissioner at GECOM, Sase Gunraj revealed “…one member of the delegation we just met, made it very clear to us and brought it to our attention that the current impasse that the country finds itself in is affecting the inward flow of investments into this country. And that recognition by this person with whom we meet is a recognition that this country ought to come to. The longer this situation continues, it affects the livelihood and progress this country will make.”Nevertheless, the Commissioner said that they also highlight their already-public position on the entire issue regarding the holding of polls. He said that the emissaries were also told of apparent delay tactics, including the latest issue of funding at the Elections Commission.“I said to them democracy is not a cheap thing, democracy is a costly thing; and elections and the holding of elections is an integral part of that democracy. I described it in that meeting [that] it’s a very fragile democracy that Guyana enjoys and…that starvation of funds to the Commission for the holding of elections, I believe, provides a fetter to the Commission to effectively carry out its functions… That was made every clear to the (diplomats),” Gunraj stated.The diplomats met with GECOM’s Chairman, Commissioners and members of the Commission’s secretariat after Chairman of the entity, retired Justice James Patterson used his deciding vote to pass the motion to inform the President that General Elections cannot be held by the constitutional March 19, 2019 deadline.