by Lorne Cook, The Associated Press Posted Feb 12, 2015 2:02 am MDT Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund Christine Lagarde, center left, arrives with Dutch Finance Minister Jeroen Dijsselbloem, center right, for a meeting of eurogroup finance ministers in Brussels on Wednesday, Feb. 11, 2015. Leading European officials downplayed expectations that a comprehensive debt deal with Greece is likely Wednesday at an emergency meeting in which Greece’s finance minister is set to unveil a plan to loosen austerity’s grip on his economy. (AP Photo/Virginia Mayo) AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email International Monetary Fund agrees to give Ukraine new bailout deal worth $17.5 billion BRUSSELS – The International Monetary Fund has agreed with Ukraine on a new bailout deal worth 15.5 billion euro ($17.5 billion) that could climb to around $40 billion over the next four years with help from other lenders like Europe and the U.S.Ukraine has so far received $4.6 billion as part of a $17 billion aid package from the IMF agreed on last year, but that program has run into trouble as the war ravaging the country’s eastern region has weighed on its economic prospects.Facing bankruptcy, Ukraine last month asked the IMF to replace its program with a new one to restore confidence in its finances.IMF Managing Director Christine Lagarde said Thursday that “this new program offers an important opportunity for Ukraine to move its economy forward at a critical moment in the country’s history.”The announcement came just before leaders of Russia, Ukraine, France and Germany emerged from marathon talks to announce a peace deal for eastern Ukraine.The four-year package “would support immediate economic stabilization in Ukraine as well as a set of bold policy reforms aimed at restoring robust growth of the medium term and improving living standards for the Ukrainian people,” Lagarde said.Kyiv has also received loans from the European Union and the United States, both of whom have recently promised more help.Lagarde said the IMF support would be backed by other international financing. “From these various sources taken together, a total financing package of around $40 billion is estimated over the four year period,” she told reporters.“This program will require the authorities’ steadfast determination to reform the economy,” Lagarde underlined.She praised Kyiv’s reform efforts so far, saying that the government has “not only reached their targeted deficit for this year but they have exceeded the objective and produced a better result than was expected.”
Armed police were scrambled to an east London mosque on Thursday night after a “masked” gunman entered the building during Ramadan prayers before discharging a firearm outside.The incident at the Seven Kings Mosque in Ilford comes two months after the Christchurch massacre and raised fears of a copycat attack in the capital.Worshippers were part-way through evening prayers late on Thursday when the sound of a gunshot rang out.A man, said to have had his face covered, was reported to have entered the mosque on High Road, but was made to leave before firing the gun.Scotland Yard said early investigations suggested that a “blank firing handgun” had been discharged.No injuries or damage to the building were reported and detectives were not treating the incident as terrorism-related, the force said. I am aware of the reports of a man with a firearm at Seven Kings Mosque during prayers tonight and am relieved that no one appears to have been hurt or injured. Thank you to @MPSRedbridge for a swift response. I will in touch with Police in the morning re: mosque security.— Wes Streeting MP (@wesstreeting) May 9, 2019 Worshipper Ibraheem Hussain, 19, an apprentice data analyst at one of the Big Four city firms, said the incident left him concerned over the safety of worshippers during Ramadan.”The main thing that was in my mind was that (due to the layout of the mosque) it could have gone very wrong,” he said.”(Christchurch) comes to mind, it’s crazy to think this would happen in London, especially after everything that has happened.” Abdul Ahad wrote on Facebook: “During taraweeh prayers this evening there was an incident involving a firearm at Seven Kings masjid (mosque). A “blank firing handgun” is believed to have been shot during an incident outside Seven Kings MosqueCredit:London News Pictures Scotland Yard said the investigation was being led by detectives from the East Area Command Unit, although the Trident gang squad had been notified.”Police were called at 10.45pm on Thursday, 9 May to reports that a man, believed to be in possession of a firearm, had entered a mosque on High Road in Seven Kings,” the force said.”The man was ushered outside of the building by those inside. A gunshot was then heard.”Officers, including firearms officers, attended. There were no reported injuries or damage to the building.”At this early stage, ballistic evidence recovered from the scene suggests that the weapon was a blank firing handgun. Mr Hussain described hearing the gunshot around half an hour after prayers began.He told the Press Association: “There’s three sections of the mosque and at taraweeh (evening prayers) during this time of Ramadan the mosque is packed out.”We were upstairs in the classrooms and about 30 minutes into the night prayer a large noise went off. I just continued my prayer, it sounded like a firework or maybe something heavy had been dropped, so no-one really thought anything of it.”After we finished … someone said it was a gunshot, someone had come into the mosque and he had a firearm on him. The managers had seen him, he was masked and acting suspicious and the firearm was let off.”Several social media users also said the alleged armed man had his face covered. Police remain on High Road in Seven Kings following a firearm discharge. At this early stage, it is thought that the weapon was a blank firing handgun. There were no injuries or damage caused. The incident is not being treated as terrorism-related.— Metropolitan Police (@metpoliceuk) May 9, 2019 The incident comes amid heightened concerns over security at places of worship around the world. A mass shooting at a mosque in New Zealand in March left 50 people dead, while a woman was killed when a gunman opened fire at a synagogue in California in April.Last month nearly 260 people died in the Easter Sunday attacks in Sri Lanka, which included a suicide bombing on a church. “Officers will continue to work closely with representatives from the mosque and are providing reassurance to the local community.”Anyone with information is asked to contact Borough officers via 101 quoting reference 8585/9May. Officers will continue to work closely with representatives from the mosque and are providing reassurance to the local community. Anyone with information is asked to contact officers via 101 quoting ref: 8585/09May— Metropolitan Police (@metpoliceuk) May 9, 2019 “A man with fully covered face entered the masjid during taraweeh prayers. Alhamdulillah no one injured or hurt, but one shot was fired and unfortunately he ran away.”Following the incident the mosque’s imam urged people not to speculate over the gunman’s motives.”There was a firearm incident outside Seven Kings Mosque tonight during Ramadan night prayers,” Mufti Suhail said.”The suspect ran from the scene when stopped by brothers standing guard at the mosque.”A shot was fired which fortunately did not hit anyone.”Ilford North MP Wes Streeting said he would be contacting the police about the incident. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings.