12 11. Ruud Gullit – Free transfer (Sampdoria to Chelsea) – Click right for more shock transfers… – In 1995 the Blues picked up the bargain of the summer as they landed Dutch hero Gullit. He struggled to get going in a sweeper role but, once Glenn Hoddle moved him into midfield, he was flying and ended the campaign as the second best player in the Premier League behind Eric Cantona. 12 4. Robinho – £33m (Real Madrid to Manchester City) – Click right for more shock transfers… – On the final day of the summer transfer window in 2008, the Blues were bought by mega wealthy Sheikh Mansour’s Abu Dhabi United group and subsequently shocked the Premier League by signing Robinho, who was close to a switch to Chelsea. “I just laughed, really, because it was all out for Berbatov and then they seemed to be bidding for everybody,” City player Richard Dunne said, in reference to City trying to hijack the Red Devils’ deadline day deal for Berbatov, before attention was turned to Robinho. It was clearly a sign of things to come. 12 12 12. Bebe – £7.4m (Vitoria de Guimaraes to Manchester United) – Click right for more shock transfers… – Who? Is what most people said when the Red Devils announced a deal for unknown Portugal winger Bebe in 2010. Hed never even played for his previous club when Sir Alex Ferguson swooped, persuaded by Carlos Queiroz, and in the end he made just four Premier League appearances before leaving Old Trafford in 2014. 12 9. Esteban Cambiasso – Free transfer (Inter Milan to Leicester City) – Click right for more shock transfers… – One of the biggest coups of 2014 was the Foxes deal to land former Argentina international Cambiasso. It turned out to be inspired too as the midfielder fought tooth and nail to keep Leicester in the top-flight, despite it looking against the odds at Christmas. 3. Andy Carroll – £35m (Newcastle United to Liverpool) – Click right for more shock transfers… – After Fernando Torres had been sold to Chelsea it was not the player who was the shock part of Carrolls move to Liverpool. The giant Geordie had hit 11 Premier League goals in the first half of the 2010/11 season but £35m was an astronomical fee, which he failed to live up to with injuries blighting his time at Anfield before he was loaned and then sold to West Ham. 8. Jurgen Klinsmann – £2m (Monaco to Tottenham) – Click right for more shock transfers… – The German striker joined Spurs after the 1994 World Cup, which was a surprise given his ability and the fact the English were critical of the players histrionics. His debut goal changed that though as he celebrated with a self-deprecating dive against Sheffield Wednesday. A stunning campaign ensued as he scored 21 goals for Tottenham and helped them to an FA Cup semi-final but he left after just one year, although he would returned again in 1997-8 to save the club from relegation. 2. Eric Cantona – £1.2m (Leeds United to Manchester United) – Click right for more shock transfers… – It never hurts to ask is the moral of this story. Leeds attempted to sign Denis Irwin in November 1992 but were rebuffed, only for the Red Devils to counter with an offer for the mercurial Frenchman. Howard Wilkinson agree to the deal and Sir Alex Ferguson got his man. The rest is history. 6. Attilio Lombardo – £1.6m (Juventus to Crystal Palace) – Click right for more shock transfers… – After struggling to find his feet in Turin, Lombardo flew the nest to join Palace in 1997. Soon, his talents saw him crowned the Bald Eagle as he lit up Selhurst Park before becoming player-manager. 12 12 12 7. Edwin van der Sar – £7.1m (Juventus to Fulham) – Click right for more shock transfers… – When Gianluigi Buffon joined Juventus in 2001, it left the Dutchman needing to move away from the Old Lady to secure first-team football. In the end he joined newly-promoted Fulham, in their first ever Premier League season and he was a huge success before joining Man United four years later. 10. Fabrizio Ravanelli – £7m (Juventus to Middlesbrough) – Click right for more shock transfers… – The White Feather, as he was known in Italy, won the Champions League in May 1996, scoring in the final as Juventus beat Ajax on penalties. By July he was Middlesbrough player. During his one full Premier League season, Ravanelli scored 31 goals in all competitions and helped Bryan Robsons side to the finals of the FA Cup and League Cup. Sadly, though, Boro were relegated from the top-flight and lost both finals and moved on to Marseille. Last summer it was Yohan Cabaye who stunned fans when he left Paris Saint-Germain for Crystal Palace.The playmaker could have chosen from plenty of other clubs but decided reuniting with former Newcastle boss Alan Pardew would be in his best interest.It was certainly not the first shock transfer in the Premier League and definitely won’t be the last.Here, talkSPORT looks at the most surprising signings ever, so have a look at the players by clicking the arrow above, right.Now the transfer window is officially open will we see anymore surprises like these?Keep up to date with all the latest transfer news here. 12 12 5. Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano – Undisclosed fee (Corinthians to West Ham) – Click right for more shock transfers… – Somehow, in 2006, the Hammers stunned world football by landing two of Argentinas hottest young talents for undisclosed fees. They struggled to settle, although in the end Tevez would be the inspiration for their Premier League survival. A third party owned the players registrations it turned out, though, and, after just one season, Mascherano ended up moving to Liverpool, while Tevez joined Manchester United. 12 12 1. Sol Campbell – Free transfer (Tottenham to Arsenal) – After Tottenham refused the players alleged request for a three-year deal worth £20m, which would have allowed the player to leave on a free transfer if the club failed to make the Champions League in the first of those years, Campbell decided to quit the club at the end of his contract in 2001. Then he did the unthinkable. With moves to Lazio, Juventus, AC Milan, Manchester United and Chelsea mooted, the 26-year-old opted to join fierce north London rivals Arsenal for free. Not that he cares as he went on to win two Premier League titles and three FA Cups, while scoring in the 2006 Champions League final, which the Gunners lost to Barcelona.
2 Now the final eight nations will battle for a spot in the semi-finals but who are the most likely to win?Statisticians over a FiveThirtyEight have been doing the calculations with brilliant live updates and their magnificent Modeled Event Soccer Similarity Index (MESSI).But who do they believe will have the best chance of progressing to the next round? Find out below. It’s crunch time at World Cup 2018 as we reach the quarter-finals of the competition.The tournament has been a real thriller with shocks, goals, and drama aplenty around Russia. England players celebrate their World Cup penalty shoot-out victory over Colombia. Uruguay v France (Friday, July 6 at 3pm)Uruguay to go through – 38 per cent chanceFrance to go through – 62 per cent chanceBrazil v Belgium (Friday, July 6 at 7pm)Brazil to go through – 64 per cent chanceBelgium to go through – 66 per cent chanceSweden v England (Saturday, July 7 at 3pm)Sweden to go through – 38 per cent chanceEngland to go through – 62 per cent chanceRussia v Croatia (Saturday, July 7 at 7pm)Russia to go through – 39 per cent chanceCroatia to go through – 61 per cent chancetalkSPORT will be with listeners all day and all night at this year’s 2018 FIFA World Cup™ France players celebrate Kylian Mbappe’s second goal against Argentina. 2