US – #WeeklyAddress August 7 – 13: New Trump campaign targets media as “enemies” of the White House

first_img RSF_en August 14, 2017 – Updated on August 15, 2017 US – #WeeklyAddress August 7 – 13: New Trump campaign targets media as “enemies” of the White House Organisation News News NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say Trump re-election campaign targets “enemies,” including members of the media President Trump released a re-election campaign advertisement on Sunday, August 13, calling out the media for attacking and obstructing the president’s efforts. “The President’s enemies don’t want him to succeed, but Americans are saying, ‘Let President Trump do his job,'” the ad said, including video clips and photographs of journalists and his other “enemies.” White House Correspondent April Ryan responded to the ad, which was published a day after the Charlottesville protests turned fatal: “Sad day I am singled out as an enemy of the White House as this racial hate is going on just for asking real questions and speaking truth.” Trump calls out the “#Fake News” on Twitter President Trump took to Twitter early on Monday, August 7, accusing The New York Times of being “totally inept” and calling several media outlets “#Fake News.” These tweets came amid complaints from Trump that the media is not doing an adequate job reporting on his successes. In an afternoon tweet, Trump wrote: “How much longer will the failing nytimes, with its big losses and massive unfunded liability (and non-existent sources), remain in business?” According to The Times’ second-quarter report, which was released on July 27, The New York Times Company saw one of its strongest quarters in recent years, with a rise in digital advertising revenue and online subscriptions. Trump took questions from the press four times in two days After almost six months without a press conference, President Trump made himself available to the press four times on Thursday, August 11, and Friday, August 12, in Bedminster, New Jersey. Prior to this, Trump had not held a press conference since February 16, and rarely took questions from the White House press corps. On Friday, Trump promised a “pretty big press conference” for Monday, August 14, though his public schedule for Monday shows no mention of a press conference. ABC pays historically large sum to settle defamation lawsuit ABC News paid at least $177 million to settle a defamation lawsuit earlier this summer. The payment, which was included in a financial release from its parent company, Disney, that was just made public, is related to a years-long dispute between the network and South Dakota-based meat processor Beef Products Inc. BPI sued ABC for more than $1 billion over the network’s 2012 reporting on BPI’s “lean finely textured beef product,” which ABC said critics refer to as “pink slime.” While the report made clear that the product was not unsafe to eat, BPI said it negatively affected their business. $177 million is likely equal to about a year’s worth of ABC’s evening news program’s advertising revenue, according to CNNMoney. Dan Webb, an attorney for BPI, told CNN this will be the largest amount ever paid in a U.S. media defamation case. Eric Bolling sues Huffington Post reporter who covered sext scandal Fox News host Eric Bolling has sued the Huffington Post reporter whose reporting he claims led to his suspension. After Yashar Ali, a contributing writer for the Huffington Post, reported that Bolling sent lewd text messages to his female colleagues, Bolling was suspended from the network “pending the results of an investigation, which is currently underway.” The investigation is being conducted for Fox News by the law firm Paul Weiss. Bolling filed a summons Wednesday in New York Supreme Court against Ali, seeking $50 million for defamation. Bolling accused Ali of trying to harm his reputation through his “highly reckless publication of actionable false and misleading statements about the plaintiff’s conduct and character.” Coal executive makes headway in defamation lawsuit against John Oliver, NYT In the midst of an ongoing legal battle with The New York Times, HBO, and HBO host John Oliver, coal executive Bob Murray won some small victories this week. A federal judge in the Northern District of West Virginia agreed with the Murray Energy Corp. CEO’s motion to move the case from federal to state court, and denied The New York Times’ request to dismiss the case. The lawsuit argues The Times, HBO, and HBO host John Oliver wrongfully accused Murray of violating safety rules in his coal mines, focusing on the 2007 mining disaster that Murray says was caused by an earthquake, but that federal officials blame on him. The suit stems from a June episode of “Last Week Tonight” during which Oliver criticized Murray and his company, and an April New York Times editorial that said Murray “falsely insisted” the 2007 incident was caused by an earthquake. Austin Tice turns 36 in his fifth year in captivity in Syria August 14 marks five years since American freelance journalist Austin Tice was taken captive in Syria. Just days before, on Friday, August 12, Tice’s family and the international community celebrated his 36th birthday by sending him messages to be opened upon his release. Tice was spending the summer in Syria reporting on the budding civil conflict for news outlets including The Washington Post and McClatchy when he was captured in 2012. He is the last U.S. journalist still held abroad. The United States ranks 43rd out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2017 World Press Freedom Index after falling 2 places in the last year. For the latest updates, follow RSF on twitter @RSF_en.Read next: RSF condemns the violent assaults on journalists covering Charlottesville protests June 7, 2021 Find out more WhatsApp blocks accounts of at least seven Gaza Strip journalists United StatesAmericas Follow the news on United States to go further Help by sharing this information United StatesAmericas News June 3, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts Below are the most notable incidents regarding threats to press freedom in the US during the week of August 7 – 13. A separate statement on the incidents that took place at this weekend’s protests in Charlottesville is forthcoming: April 28, 2021 Find out more News Facebook’s Oversight Board is just a stopgap, regulation urgently needed, RSF sayslast_img read more

Paul’s belligerent 72 not enough to save Windies Under-19s

first_imgNORTH SOUND, Antigua, (CMC) – Under-19 World Cup star, Keemo Paul, stroked his maiden Regional Super50 half-century but it was not enough to save West Indies Under-19s as they collapsed to a six-wicket defeat to Kent Spitfires here yesterday.All-rounder Paul was impressive with a stroke-filled 72, an innings that helped pulled the Under-19s around from 83 for five in the 32nd over and lift them to 191 for eight off their 50 overs at the Vivian Richards Cricket Ground.Captain Kirstan Kallicharan chimed in with 47 and Shamar Springer got 26 but the Under-19s innings never really found flight and they failed to crack the 200-run mark.New ball bowlers Matt Coles (3-42) and Calum Haggett (3-43) did the early damage with three wickets apiece.In reply, Kent strolled to their target in the 45th over with wicketkeeper Adam Rouse top-scoring with 61 not out and Sean Dickson getting 53.Opener Daniel Bell-Drummond struck 29 from 36 deliveries while opening partner Adam Ball weighed in with 25, in a stand of 50 for the first wicket.When they both departed to leave Kent on 64 for two in the 18th over, Rouse and Dickson combined in a 104-run partnership for the third wicket to set up the win.Rouse faced 105 deliveries and counted one four and a six while Dickson hit two fours and a six in a 76-ball knock.Left-arm quick Obed McCoy was the best Under-19s bowled with two for 47.Earlier, winning the toss and choosing to bat, the Under-19s were tottering at 20 for four in the eighth over before Kallicharan, Springer and then Paul came to their side’s rescue.First, Kallicharan and Springer put on a critical 63 for the fifth wicket before Paul and Kallicharan added a further 46 for the sixth wicket.Kallicharan, a member of the successful Under-19 World Cup side, struck three fours in a responsible 110-ball knock before perishing in the 44th over at 129 for six.Paul then took charge in a belligerent innings which required only 57 balls and included four fours and five sixes. Importantly, he added 41 for the seventh wicket with Joshua Bishop (10), which helped Under-19s extend their rally in the death overs.UNDER-19sS Brathwaite b Haggett 9+E Stewart lbw b Haggett 0B Yadram c Blake b Coles 3A Athanze c Gidman b Haggett 2S Springer run our 26K Kallicharan lbw b Coles 47K Paul c Robinson b Gidman 72J Bishop b Coles 10J Royal not out 5Extras (lb8, w9) 17TOTAL (8 wkts, 50 overs) 191Did not bat: O McCoy, T Alleyne.Fall of wickets: 1-12, 2-15, 3-20, 4-20, 5-83, 6-129, 7-170, 8-191.Bowling: Haggett 10-3-43-3, Coles 10-2-42-3, Ball 6-0-24-0, Gidman 6-1-23-1, Qayyum 10-0-26-0, Riley 8-1-25-0.KENTD Bell-Drummond st Stewart b Bishop 29A Ball c Kallicharan b Royal 25A Rouse not out 61S Dickson c wkp Stewart b McCoy 53*W Gidman c Yadram b Mccoy 7A Blake not out 4Extras (lb2, w11) 13TOTAL (4 wkts, 44.5 overs) 192Did not bat: O Robinson, C Haggett, M Coles, A Riley, I Qayyum.Fall of wickets: 1-50, 2-64, 3-168, 4-188.Bowling: McCoy 7.5-0-47-2, Alleyne 8-0-44-0, Bishop 10-2-21-1, Paul 1-0-4-0, Royal 10-0-32-1, Yadram 5-0-25-0, Athanaze 3-0-17-0.Points: Kent 4, Under-19s.last_img read more

Bookies survive Dettori’s Ascot heroics

first_img StumbleUpon Related Articles Submit Betway and Dafabet grow La Liga sponsorship portfolios August 14, 2020 Share ESI Digital – No Drama Please… Esports growth should be treated as business as usual  August 20, 2020 Frankie Dettori enjoyed yet another successful day at the Royal Ascot festival yesterday, guiding Stradivarius to a second successive Gold Cup victory, while also winning the first four races on Ladies’ Day, leaving bookmakers to breathe a slight sigh of relief.Following the four successive wins yesterday, it has been reported that the jockey was close to costing betting operators dearly, however, the losses have been offset by Biometric’s win in the fifth race.Harry Aitkenhead, PR executive at Coral, told SBC: “It’s hard to gauge exactly what would have happened if Frankie had gone through the card as the betting for the final race would have likely descended into chaos! However had he of won the fifth, it would have cost us over £10 million.“It looked like he was going to fly home as well so as Harry Bentley came surging past on Biometric it was one of the biggest swings in bookmaking history! In the end we managed to turn over a very small profit on the whole day with two very good results in the final two races, although hundreds of punters still collected big wins from Frankie’s magic.“A £1 bet on the four would have returned £600, whilst a Lucky 15 placed in the morning with the better odds would have paid just over £2000.”At one stage during the day, bookies feared that the jockey would continue his winning streak, bringing back memories of Dettori’s 1996 ‘magnificent seven’, which is reported to have cost the industry an estimated £180 m if this were the case.Aitkenhead added: “Punters love following a hot streak but even more when it’s somebody like Dettori who has been there and done it so many times before.“Overall, it’s about all square between punters and bookies with plenty of strikes for both sides. Ryan Moore has also had three winners and the big jockeys always prove really popular with bettors. However there’s been a few surprises sprung and it’s all to play for going into a bumper Saturday!”Betway’s Alan Alger added: “Frankie Dettori is by far the country’s most popular jockey, and when he’s riding winners left, right and centre on one of the biggest betting days of the year it’s going to end badly for the bookies.“Ladies’ Day 2019 will go down as one of the most memorable in Royal Ascot’s 300-year history, but it will also live long in the memories of bookmakers as being very expensive.“We were staring directly down the barrel when the Italian stretched clear in the closing stages of the Britannia on Turgenev, but Harry Bentley and outsider Biometric swooped late to save us from a devastating loss.” Share GVC absorbs retail shocks as business recalibrates for critical H2 trading August 13, 2020last_img read more