Cyber-dissident Huang Qi kidnapped, foreign journalists arrested in Sichuan

first_img ChinaAsia – Pacific Huang spent five years in Nanchong high security prison after being arrested on 3 June 2000, the eve of the 11th anniversary of the Tiananmen Square massacre. He was charged with subversion under articles 103 and 105 of the criminal code for posting articles about the massacre by exiled dissidents on his website, which he originally created as bulletin board for messages about missing persons.Reporters Without Borders awarded him its Cyber-Freedom Prize in 2004 for his online defence of free expression and human rights.Meanwhile police today expelled around 10 foreign journalists from a neighbourhood of Dujiangyan, one of the cities that was badly hit by the earthquake, Agence France-Presse reported. Two of them worked for the French agency. They were trying to do a story about a school that collapsed in the quake. Police manhandled some of the journalists and damaged their equipment.“We are seeing an all-out hunt for press representatives, with police and soldiers blocking access roads and searching all vehicles,” said Tom Van de Weghe, the China correspondent of Belgian radio and TV broadcaster VRT, who was arrested in Dujiangyan and Juyan. Yesterday, the Sichuan authorities had nonetheless renewed press accreditation for journalists wanting to visit quake-hit areas.More information about Chinese government restrictions on press freedom regarding the 12 May earthquake in Sichuan Receive email alerts June 12, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Cyber-dissident Huang Qi kidnapped, foreign journalists arrested in Sichuan Reporters Without Borders is worried about the kidnapping of leading cyber-dissident Huang Qi, the founder of the human rights website 64Tianwang. He and two other activists were forced to get into a car by three unidentified men at around 7 p.m. on 10 June in Chengdu, the capital of the earthquake-hit province of Sichuan.The Chengdu police claim they know nothing about their whereabouts but their abduction bears all the hallmarks of an operation by the Bureau of Public Security and could be linked to the arrest the previous day of Zheng Hongling, a retired university professor who posted a series of three articles about the earthquake on a US-based website.“The abduction of Huang and his two companions one month to the day after the Sichuan earthquake shows that the crackdown on press freedom activists continues,” Reporters Without Borders said. “We urge the authorities to conduct an investigation to find out where they are, and to free them at once.” The press freedom organisation added: “We also voice our support for Zheng, who was just using her right to free expression when she wrote three articles criticising the way the authorities in Mianyang, the city where she lives, handled earthquake relief operations. We call for her immediate release as well.”The editor of the 64Tianwang website, Zhang Guo Ting, said he thought the abduction was linked to the latest article posted by Huang, which was about Zheng’s arrest on a charge of “divulging information abroad.” Aged 53 and a former professor at the University of Technology of the Southwest, Zheng and her husband fled from the earthquake damage in Mianyang on 12 May and went to stay with a friend, Huang Shaopu, in Chengdu.From there, Zheng wrote her three articles, entitled “Tales of my adventures during the earthquake,” for Observe China, a Chinese website hosted in the United States. She was charged on 9 June with publishing articles criticising the authorities for not letting NGOs do their job. She is being held in Mianyang prison. Huang Shaopu was questioned by the police because the articles were sent from his computer, but he said he did not know they were being published.Every since the earthquake, 44-year-old Huang Qi had been posting articles on 64Tianwang criticising the way the relief was being organised. He wrote on 20 May: “The reports we are seeing are biased. In reality, it is very difficult for NGOs to deliver food aid. They are obliged to go through government channels. The government is using its propaganda to portray itself as a saviour to little avail. Few citizens trust the government because of the corruptions scandals that already occurred during similar disasters in the past.” ChinaAsia – Pacific ————-16.06 – Huang Qi suspected of “illegal possession of state secrets”Reporters Without Borders today called for charges to be dropped against cyber-dissident Huang Qi who has been in custody since 10 June suspected by police of “illegally holding state secrets”.His family said he had been arrested because of news posted on his website, which chiefly reports on the organisation of humanitarian aid.“With two months to go before the Olympic Games, this arrest is yet another provocation, which is in contradiction with the openness promoted by the government during the earthquake that shook Sichuan province on 12 May”, the worldwide press freedom organisation said.Huang Qi was only doing his duty of informing Internet users of the plight of victims of the earthquake”, the organisation added.Witnesses saw three people bundle Huang and two colleagues into a car in Chengdu, capital of Sichuan province, on the evening of 10 June. They were reported missing two days later. Police in Chengdu said they had received communist party orders not to give out any information about the case.Haung’s wife, Zeng Li, has asked the lawyer Mo Shaoping to defend him. Mo has defended many human rights activists, including the journalist Li Changqing, former deputy news editor of the Fuzhou Daily, and Zhao Yan, formerly of the New York Times.Huang Qi founded the website 64 Tianwang, which posts news about human rights. The editor of the website www.64tianwang.com, Zhang Guo Ting, said it was possible that the case was linked to the latest article posted by Huang Qi about the arrest of a retired professor from the Technology University of the South-West, Zheng Hongling, aged 53, for “divulging news abroad“. March 12, 2021 Find out more RSF_en The interview that Huang Qi’s wife gave to TF1 in 2003The October 2007 report “Journey to the Heart of Internet censorship”Articles on Zheng Hongling (in Chinese): – http://www.observechina.com/info/artshow.asp?ID=49485- http://www.observechina.net/info/artshow.asp?ID=49501- http://www.observechina.com/info/artshow.asp?ID=49535 to go further Help by sharing this information China: Political commentator sentenced to eight months in prison Reporters Without Borders is worried about the kidnapping of leading cyber-dissident Huang Qi, the founder of the human rights website 64Tianwang, and two other activists. The Chengdu police claim they know nothing about their whereabouts. The press freedom organization urges the authorities to conduct an investigation to find out where they are. Follow the news on China June 2, 2021 Find out more News China’s Cyber ​​Censorship Figures News News News Democracies need “reciprocity mechanism” to combat propaganda by authoritarian regimes Organisation ———— April 27, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Rural rents rocket as urban tenant escape to the country

first_imgDemand for rural properties from tenants fleeing cities has pushed up rents in country areas by a staggering 5.5% last month, latest research from Hamptons International, while cities have seen a 5.3% drop.The firm says a seismic shift in renters priorities has led to a significant escape to the country, prompting a 29% increase in properties available to rent in cities and a 48% reduction in available homes in rural areas.As millions of city dwellers realise they are likely to be working from home for months to come, many are now looking for more bucolic and larger homes to rent, says Hamptons International.This includes estate agents including Carter Jonas, which last week reported that the pandemic had persuaded its senior management to be more relaxed about flexible working for staff.The trend is particularly severe in London where rents have fallen for the eight month in a row, and that the rents increasing/decreasing gap between inner and out London is now at a record level (-14.3% vs +3.3%).Hamptons International says that the race to country means overall rents increased across Britain for the first time since the pandemic struck, rising by 1.4% during October to £1,041 per tenancy.“The flexibility of the rental market has meant that while some renters have decided to make a permanent move out of cities in search of more space, others have moved out temporarily,” says Aneisha Beveridge, its Head of Research.“The opportunity to work from home means tenants can save while paying less rent in more rural areas. As a result, the gap between rents in cities and the countryside is closing.”The research mirrors similar research by Knight Frank in July, which said demand for rural homes was rocketing in the sales market.hamptons internatinal Aneisha Beveridge average UK rents Carter Jonas November 16, 2020Nigel LewisWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021 Hong Kong remains most expensive city to rent with London in 4th place30th April 2021 Home » News » Housing Market » Rural rents rocket as urban tenant escape to the country previous nextHousing MarketRural rents rocket as urban tenant escape to the countryLatest research from Hamptons International shows a 5.5% monthly rent hike in rural areas while cities sagged by 5.3%.Nigel Lewis16th November 20200747 Viewslast_img read more

Big Ten Championship awaits harriers

first_imgThe Wisconsin men’s and women’s cross country teams will head to the Les Bolstad golf course for the annual Big Ten Championships this weekend. The No. 2 men’s team will look to add to its trophy collection as it hunts for its 8th consecutive Big Ten title, while the women’s team will attempt to improve on last year’s 8th place finish.”I think we’re situated right where we want to be as a team,” men’s head coach Jerry Schumacher said. “And similar to past years, I think the team is improving as we go. Earlier season meets have indicated that I think we’ll be pretty strong when we compete.”Making up the top contingent of runners for the Badgers will be senior Simon Bairu — who has won the event as an individual the past two years — senior Bobby Lockhart, junior All-American Chris Solinsky — who won the Notre Dame Invite last month — senior Ben Gregory — who took 3rd at the Jim Drews Invite two weeks ago — and senior Anthony Ford.Having won seven consecutive titles, Wisconsin will definitely enter the competition with a bull’s-eye on its back, a fact that hasn’t escaped Schumacher.”I think the Big Ten is always strong,” Schumacher said. “It’s probably one of the stronger, if not the strongest cross country conference in the country, there’s probably five ranked, top 25-30 teams in the country in the Big Ten right now, so it’s never an easy meet, so you especially can’t have any mistakes and expect to do your best.”Joining Wisconsin in the rankings is No. 11 Iowa, No. 17 Michigan, No. 22 Indiana, No. 23 Minnesota and No. 26 Ohio State. Iowa, Michigan and Indiana all ran in the Pre-NCAA meet two weeks ago and took 4th, 6th and 8th place respectively. Indiana is led by senior All-American Sean Jefferson, while Michigan and Indiana have a contingent of top runners.Minnesota ran against Wisconsin two weeks ago at the Jim Drews Invitational and finished a close second. With the addition of their two all-regional runners, senior Erik Grumstrup and junior Antonio Vega, who had been out most of the year with injuries, the competition looks stronger than ever in its push to outrun Wisconsin. Talent alone, however, does not win meets.”Things got to go your way that day,” Schumacher said. “We’re working really hard on doing things right and trying to put ourselves in the best position to win and when we get there that day there’s going to be a few other teams there in the same position. …Whoever has that best day that day is probably going to leave there the team champion and we’re preparing to be that team.”The women enter the meet unranked after placing 16th at the Brooks Pre-Nationals meet two weeks ago. Head coach Jim Stintzi has several strong runners, including junior Katrina Rundhaug, who was the 14th-place finisher at the Pre-Nationals meet, but the team has struggled this season. Part their struggle can be attributed to injuries, but with the Badgers healthy, they’re looking towards a solid showing at Les Bolstad.”We’re obviously really excited about heading into the Big Ten championships,” Stintzi said. “We are healthier than we have been earlier in the season. We returned A’ Havahla Haynes, who was second team all-conference last year; she’ll be back for the big Ten championships so she’ll help us come along. I think that we’ve made considerable progress since last year, although we’re probably not where we should be. So our goal for the Big Ten championships is to take another step in that direction.”UW’s biggest rival will be No. 2 Michigan, who is the favorite to win the meet and took first place in the Pre-Nationals meet two weeks ago by placing all five of their scorers in the top 22, and the No. 6 Illinois team which finished 5th at that meet. No. 11 Minnesota, No. 23 Michigan State and No. 30 Iowa are the other three ranked Big Ten teams.”I think that if we would put everything together this year, we could be competitive enough to be a top-25 team,” Stintzi said. “So that would be a step in the right direction and if we’re not a contender next year, we’ll be awfully close.”last_img read more

100 footballers attend StarTimes, Bundesliga Football School

first_img Source: Ghanaweb Some 100 aspiring footballers drawn from various parts of the country will for the next five days go through a mentorship and talent harnessing process being undertaken by StarTimes Ghana and the German Bundesliga.Under the tutelage of some German football legends, coaches and Ghanaian coaches the young players will have their talents sharpened by series of compact training sessions, workshops and matches.Former German international Renate Lingor, 2x World Cup Winner, 2x European Champion and 3x Bronze Medal Olympic Games winner together with other UEFA license A coaches such as Tobias Süveges of SV Werder Bremen, Arne Stratmann of TSG 1899 Hoffenheim, Bjoern Nass of Bayer 04 Leverkusen and head coach of the Bundesliga Football school, Birger J. Nass are leading the course which commenced today at the Lord’s Wembley Park in Accra.Day one of the StarTimes Bundesliga Football School saw the players made up of 25 under-15 players, 25 female footballers, 25 under-13 footballers and 25 under-12 footballers go through some training drills supervised by the German instructors and their local counterparts which include Samuel Boadu of Medeama SC, Isaac Amoako, Evans Adortey, Eric Ofori Antwi, Dora Zitah, Christian Chibueze and Leo Wangeh.Speaking to the press on the opening day of the project, the head of Marketing at StarTimes Ghana, Akofa Banson said the talent hunt exercise is their way of contributing to the resurrection of the colts football.“StarTimes has been involved in Ghana football since 2016 and we’ve seen how our local players have evolved from the local team to the national teams. We have experienced how Ghanaians have always said that our colts teams and juvenile football are dying. So we thought that since we don’t want to lose sight of the fact that the local game must also grow”.“We are doing this as a CSR project to help project youth football in Ghana. We want the youth the youth football to grow and be where we all want it to be that is why we’re partnering the Bundesliga to bring this to the Ghanaian youth level so that we can have some great talent to shoot up to the national team level as well” she remarked.The head coach of the Bundesliga Football School, Birger Nass described as ‘proud’ the experience of working with the players, majority of whom he is confident will develop into great footballers for the country.“We are very proud that StarTimes and the Bundesliga could come together and realize this project for the first time in Ghana. Working together with the 100 talents, local coaches and all the staff around us is great. We will work for the next five days with the kids on the pitch twice a day, doing training sessions together with our coaches” he said.The Ghana edition is the fourth since the inception of the project targeted at developing young footballers and coaches.The climax of the program is on Wednesday where the players will be divided into two groups of nine teams each to put into action all they have learnt in the last four days.It is expected that the President of the GFA, Kurt Okraku, Officials of the Sports Ministry, Bayern Munich legend Sammy Kuffour, CK Akunnor and other dignitaries will grace the event which will be preceded by a press conference on Monday where German football icon Lotthar Matthaus will address the Ghanaian media.last_img read more