US – #WeeklyAddress August 7 – 13: New Trump campaign targets media as “enemies” of the White House

first_img RSF_en August 14, 2017 – Updated on August 15, 2017 US – #WeeklyAddress August 7 – 13: New Trump campaign targets media as “enemies” of the White House Organisation News News NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say Trump re-election campaign targets “enemies,” including members of the media President Trump released a re-election campaign advertisement on Sunday, August 13, calling out the media for attacking and obstructing the president’s efforts. “The President’s enemies don’t want him to succeed, but Americans are saying, ‘Let President Trump do his job,'” the ad said, including video clips and photographs of journalists and his other “enemies.” White House Correspondent April Ryan responded to the ad, which was published a day after the Charlottesville protests turned fatal: “Sad day I am singled out as an enemy of the White House as this racial hate is going on just for asking real questions and speaking truth.” Trump calls out the “#Fake News” on Twitter President Trump took to Twitter early on Monday, August 7, accusing The New York Times of being “totally inept” and calling several media outlets “#Fake News.” These tweets came amid complaints from Trump that the media is not doing an adequate job reporting on his successes. In an afternoon tweet, Trump wrote: “How much longer will the failing nytimes, with its big losses and massive unfunded liability (and non-existent sources), remain in business?” According to The Times’ second-quarter report, which was released on July 27, The New York Times Company saw one of its strongest quarters in recent years, with a rise in digital advertising revenue and online subscriptions. Trump took questions from the press four times in two days After almost six months without a press conference, President Trump made himself available to the press four times on Thursday, August 11, and Friday, August 12, in Bedminster, New Jersey. Prior to this, Trump had not held a press conference since February 16, and rarely took questions from the White House press corps. On Friday, Trump promised a “pretty big press conference” for Monday, August 14, though his public schedule for Monday shows no mention of a press conference. ABC pays historically large sum to settle defamation lawsuit ABC News paid at least $177 million to settle a defamation lawsuit earlier this summer. The payment, which was included in a financial release from its parent company, Disney, that was just made public, is related to a years-long dispute between the network and South Dakota-based meat processor Beef Products Inc. BPI sued ABC for more than $1 billion over the network’s 2012 reporting on BPI’s “lean finely textured beef product,” which ABC said critics refer to as “pink slime.” While the report made clear that the product was not unsafe to eat, BPI said it negatively affected their business. $177 million is likely equal to about a year’s worth of ABC’s evening news program’s advertising revenue, according to CNNMoney. Dan Webb, an attorney for BPI, told CNN this will be the largest amount ever paid in a U.S. media defamation case. Eric Bolling sues Huffington Post reporter who covered sext scandal Fox News host Eric Bolling has sued the Huffington Post reporter whose reporting he claims led to his suspension. After Yashar Ali, a contributing writer for the Huffington Post, reported that Bolling sent lewd text messages to his female colleagues, Bolling was suspended from the network “pending the results of an investigation, which is currently underway.” The investigation is being conducted for Fox News by the law firm Paul Weiss. Bolling filed a summons Wednesday in New York Supreme Court against Ali, seeking $50 million for defamation. Bolling accused Ali of trying to harm his reputation through his “highly reckless publication of actionable false and misleading statements about the plaintiff’s conduct and character.” Coal executive makes headway in defamation lawsuit against John Oliver, NYT In the midst of an ongoing legal battle with The New York Times, HBO, and HBO host John Oliver, coal executive Bob Murray won some small victories this week. A federal judge in the Northern District of West Virginia agreed with the Murray Energy Corp. CEO’s motion to move the case from federal to state court, and denied The New York Times’ request to dismiss the case. The lawsuit argues The Times, HBO, and HBO host John Oliver wrongfully accused Murray of violating safety rules in his coal mines, focusing on the 2007 mining disaster that Murray says was caused by an earthquake, but that federal officials blame on him. The suit stems from a June episode of “Last Week Tonight” during which Oliver criticized Murray and his company, and an April New York Times editorial that said Murray “falsely insisted” the 2007 incident was caused by an earthquake. Austin Tice turns 36 in his fifth year in captivity in Syria August 14 marks five years since American freelance journalist Austin Tice was taken captive in Syria. Just days before, on Friday, August 12, Tice’s family and the international community celebrated his 36th birthday by sending him messages to be opened upon his release. Tice was spending the summer in Syria reporting on the budding civil conflict for news outlets including The Washington Post and McClatchy when he was captured in 2012. He is the last U.S. journalist still held abroad. The United States ranks 43rd out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2017 World Press Freedom Index after falling 2 places in the last year. For the latest updates, follow RSF on twitter @RSF_en.Read next: RSF condemns the violent assaults on journalists covering Charlottesville protests June 7, 2021 Find out more WhatsApp blocks accounts of at least seven Gaza Strip journalists United StatesAmericas Follow the news on United States to go further Help by sharing this information United StatesAmericas News June 3, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts Below are the most notable incidents regarding threats to press freedom in the US during the week of August 7 – 13. A separate statement on the incidents that took place at this weekend’s protests in Charlottesville is forthcoming: April 28, 2021 Find out more News Facebook’s Oversight Board is just a stopgap, regulation urgently needed, RSF sayslast_img read more

Ohio Contractor Transitions From Nuclear and Coal to Solar

first_imgOhio Contractor Transitions From Nuclear and Coal to Solar FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Midwest Energy News:An Ohio construction firm that got its start working on nuclear and coal-fired power plants is now experiencing steady growth from solar and energy efficiency projects for industrial and institutional customers.Rudolph Libbe Group celebrated a ribbon-cutting ceremony last week at its new Northeast Ohio headquarters in suburban Cleveland. The renovated building is the first of three on what will be a seven-acre regional campus. The Toledo-based company outgrew its previous regional facilities, having gone from two employees in Northeast Ohio to more than 200 in less than 15 years. A large chunk of that growth has come from efficiency and renewable projects.Rudolph Libbe Group’s companies have had “a connection—a legacy—with the energy industry for a long time,” said Rudolph Libbe Group Chairman Bill Rudolph. “We’ve been part of this shift of the energy industry.”The Davis-Besse nuclear power plan was the largest customer in the early days of the GEM part of the company’s business. Then the company expanded into work at coal-fired power plants, including projects for FirstEnergy at its former Bay Shore and Eastlake plants and elsewhere. Over the years, the firm’s companies have also done extensive work at petroleum refineries in the Toledo area.Rudolph Libbe Group got into solar energy about ten years ago with a project for the National Guard. Since then, the group’s GEM Energy company has gained extensive experience building solar arrays, including 2-megawatt and 1-megawatt arrays at Ohio Northern University in Walbridge. On April 27, Rudloph Libbe Inc. announced it has been named the design/build contractor for First Solar’s new 1.2-gigawatt solar module factory in Northwest Ohio.As Rudolph sees it, renewable energy and energy efficiency provide “triple bottom line” benefits for a customer’s facility. “You can make it better comfort. You can help reduce your operating expenses. And it’s good for the environment.”More: Ohio Construction Firm Grows With Region’s Clean Energy Transitionlast_img read more

Bomber four win medals at Kootenay Swim Championships

first_imgBy Bruce Fuhr,The Nelson Daily SportsEver had a great experience from opening one of those smaller presents from under the Christmas tree?That’s what the B.C. High School Speed Swim Championships will see from the L.V. Rogers Bombers when the provincial event hits the water in two weeks on Vancouver Island.The four-swimmer contingent from LVR proved the smallest of teams could provide the greatest of results following competition at the Kootenay High School Swim Championships Sunday at the NDCC Pool.“I was impressed at how well our kids did,” said LVR teacher sponsor, Dave Afford after the morning meet. “Niallan (Collier) is swimming very well. (My daughter) Rebecca placed well in the meet and Devyn (Parker) had a real good meet.”“Devyn is young but she is very strong and competed very well today,” Afford added.Collier, swimming winter club which means the Grade 11 student competes in a different category than summer club competitors, dominated the meet with some very fast times.Collier topped the podium in boy’s 50-meter freestyle, 100-meter backstroke, 100-meter breaststroke and 200-meter individual medley.Grade 12 swimmer Rebecca Afford was the next best Bomber on the medal ride, capturing bronze in girl’s 50-meter freestyle and gold in 50-meter breaststroke. Afford finished fifth in both 50-meter butterfly and 100-meter individual medley.Parker, perhaps made the biggest statement for the Bombers placing  third in girl’s 50-meter backstroke.Parker’s remaining results had the Grade 10 student finishing fourth in both 100-meter freestyle and 50 meter butterfly and sixth in 100 meter individual medley.Meanwhile Milde did not claim a medal but the Grade 10 swimmer still turned in some great swims against Grade 12 competition. Milde took eighth in boy’s 50-meter freestyle, fifth in 50-meter backstroke, fifth in 50-meter breaststroke and eighth in 50-meter butterfly.The meet attracted swimmers from throughout the Kootenays, including teams from Stanley Humphries in Castlegar, Grand Forks, Rossland, J. Lloyd Crowe in Trail and the Selkirk Storm of Kimberley.The top three swimmers in each race automatically qualify for provincials November 19-20 on Vancouver Island at the Nanaimo Aquatic Centre.Afford said the Bomber four will be there, provided the quartet can garner the necessary funds to make the trek. “At this point, yes,” said Afford when asked about the trip. “We just have to figure out how to get there.”And, when the Bomber four steps on to the starting blocks, what does the sponsor think will happen?“I think Niallan could to very well at provincials,” Afford said. “And Rebecca has a chance at placing in the breaststroke.”Afford said the championships are open, meaning there are no divisions to separate the younger from older competitors. “That makes it very tough on the younger swimmers,” he admitted. [email protected]last_img read more