Minister For Sport Encourages Children To Get Active

first_img“Rosetta Primary School first became involved in the AASC program in 2005 and was one of the first schools to give children the chance to be more active,” Senator Arbib said. “The AASC program is designed to establish links between schools, out of school hour care services and local sporting organisations.“More than 30 children from the school attend each session. Rosetta Primary offers a variety of sport programs including soccer, hockey, croquet, AFL, Touch Football, football, karate, tennis, cricket, golf, basketball, netball, softball, circus skills and aerobics.” Senator Carol Brown said by developing a love of sport at a young age Tasmania children would enjoy the benefits of healthy and active lifestyles for years to come. “By consistently delivering the program and incorporating a range of sports, Rosetta Primary School has helped to increase the physical activity levels of its students and encouraged many to go on and join sports clubs,” Senator Carol Brown said.“The AASC would not happen without the support of dedicated locals, including Carol Ayers who has supervised more than 370 AASC sessions since 2005.”The AASC program is an Australian Government initiative in up to 3270 schools and out of school care centres across Australia. The Government provides about $43 million a year for the program to boost children’s participation in sport.Each term, up to 190,000 children participate in up to 70 different sports and 20 structured physical activities after school.last_img read more

Country Music Star Brad Paisley Named First College GameDay Guest Picker

first_imgBrad Paisley on College Gameday as the guest picker.Brad Paisley College Gameday guest pickerBelieve it, college football fans – the 2015 season starts in just three days. That also means that Saturday morning, College GameDay will be back on our television screens. ESPN’s famed college football preview show will be broadcasting from Fort Worth, Texas, ahead of the Alabama vs. Wisconsin matchup. Monday, it was announced which celebrity would be joining the crew to make some predictions for the week.Country music star Brad Paisley will be doing some double duty for the event. He’ll be performing his new single “Country Nation” for the crowd and serving as the official celebrity guest picker.Paisley and Sam Ponder had an interesting Twitter conversation regarding the event, too. But no, she didn’t really convince him via social media. ESPN had already made the announcement via press release.Hey @BradPaisley got any plans on September 5th? Asking for a friend (or two)…— Sam Ponder (@sam_ponder) August 31, 2015Funny you ask, @Sam_Ponder… I was kinda hopin to hang with you and the @CollegeGameDay crew that day.— Brad Paisley (@BradPaisley) August 31, [email protected] consider this your official invite! Fort Worth, TX. Sundance Square 9am.— Sam Ponder (@sam_ponder) August 31, [email protected]_ponder Hell yeah. Guess I will see everyone on Sept 5th. Fired up for @CollegeGameDay.— Brad Paisley (@BradPaisley) August 31, 2015Paisley served as the guest picker for last year’s West Virginia vs. TCU contest. What do you think, college football fans? Is he the right choice to kick things off?last_img read more

Cruise Vessel Orders Push Fincantieris Revenue Up

first_imgzoomImage by WMN Italian shipbuilding giant Fincantieri has once again reported a record quarter in terms of total backlog and the number of orders in the cruise business.During the first quarter of 2019, the shipbuilder’s order intake was at EUR 6.5 billion with contracts signed for a total of 11 cruise ships for 5 different brands, including Oceania, Regent Seven Seas Cruises, Viking, MSC, Princess.Total backlog reached EUR 34.3 billion, covering approximately 6.3 times the 2018 revenues. Backlog for the same period last year stood at EUR 21.8 billion with 104 ships in the order book.Revenues increased by 13% to EUR 1.38 billion, compared to EUR 1.22 billion reported in the same period a year earlier, in line with the growth expectations for 2019.“The orders for the 11 cruise vessels signed in these three months translate into almost 27 billion euro generated to the benefit of the territories where we are located: this figure speaks for itself,” Giuseppe Bono, Fincantieri’s Chief Executive Officer, said.“This is the first glimpse of a challenging year ahead of us, which will allow us to show our excellent production and system integration capabilities,” he added.Revenues in the shipbuilding segment for the quarter reached EUR 1.11 billion, increasing by 8.8% when compared to the EUR 1.02 billion reported in the first quarter of 2018. The increase in revenues was linked to the higher volumes generated by the construction of cruise vessels, that recorded an increase of 13.1% if compared to the same period of 2018.Fincantieri expects 2019 results to be in line with 2018 and consistent with the economic and financial forecast announced within the 2018-2022 Business Plan. In particular, for FY 2019 the revenue growth trend is confirmed, with an EBITDA margin in line with 2018.In the shipbuilding segment, in the next quarters of 2019 the shipbuilder expects to deliver 8 ships, 6 cruise units and 2 naval vessels.last_img read more

Secret spy file on Pierre Trudeau was almost spared from destruction memo

first_imgOTTAWA — A secret spy-service file on Pierre Trudeau came close to eluding destruction 30 years ago, newly disclosed memos reveal.However, a late October 1988 recommendation that the dossier on the former prime minister should be preserved for at least another decade was nixed just days later, sealing its fate.The Canadian Press reported last month that the Canadian Security Intelligence Service scrapped the Cold War file on Trudeau in 1989 instead of sending it to the national archives.The Trudeau dossier was among hundreds of thousands of files on a wide array of groups and individuals the then-new CSIS inherited in the 1980s after the RCMP Security Service was disbanded following a series of scandals.CSIS said the file on Trudeau was destroyed because it fell short of the threshold for retention by either the service or the archives.The news rankled leading historians, who said an intelligence file on a prime minister should be kept without hesitation given its significance to the national public record.The Canadian Presslast_img read more

Canadas decision to decline TPP agreement shouldnt have been surprise Trudeau

first_imgDANANG, Vietnam – Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says it shouldn’t have come as a surprise to anyone when Canada declined to sign an agreement-in-principle Friday on an updated Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal.Trudeau’s decision to keep negotiating for a better deal in the 11-country pact led to the abrupt cancellation of a TPP leaders’ meeting on the sidelines of an APEC summit.His move created international headlines because foreign media reports had predicted TPP partners would reach an agreement when they gathered for the APEC event in Vietnam.But Trudeau says anyone who had paid closer attention would have noticed his signals all week that Canada would not be rushed into a TPP deal unless it was right for Canadians.Speaking to reporters today to close the APEC summit in Danang, Trudeau says the TPP trade ministers still made some progress by agreeing to several changes that moved the talks closer to a agreement.But Trudeau says despite the improvements there’s still more work to do, particularly when it comes to protecting Canada’s auto and cultural sectors.last_img read more

US approves 13 billion sale of artillery to Saudi Arabia

first_imgWASHINGTON – The Trump administration signed off Thursday on selling more than $1.3 billion in artillery to Saudi Arabia, giving a vote of confidence to the Saudi military as young Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman concludes a marathon tour of the United States.Since Prince Mohammed arrived in the U.S. two weeks ago, the administration has green-lighted more than $2.3 billion in arms sales to the kingdom, including more than $1 billion in missiles while the crown prince was in Washington. The latest deal includes about 180 Paladin howitzer systems, artillery-firing vehicles on tracks. The vehicles look like a combination of a tank and a cannon, and launch 155mm shells.The Trump administration told Congress on Thursday that it plans to approve the sale, the State Department said, triggering a 30-day window in which lawmakers could act to try to stop it. Typically, the administration obtains informal approval for such deals from key lawmakers before making them public, indicating that Congress is unlikely to act to block the sale.The Defence Security Cooperation Agency, part of the U.S. military, said the sale would “contribute to the foreign policy and national security of the United States” by boosting the capabilities of a key U.S. partner that contributes to “political stability and economic progress in the Middle East.” The agency said the artillery would help the Saudis modernize their military and improve their ability to co-operate with the U.S. military.Yet the sale comes amid continuing concerns in Congress and by humanitarian groups about alarming rates of civilian casualties inflicted by the Saudi-led coalition fighting in Yemen. Even President Donald Trump has raised his concerns about that in the past, and for a while, the U.S. stopped selling certain munitions to the Saudis while demanding that they improve their targeting. The U.S. is not engaged in the Saudis’ bombing campaign in Yemen, but has supported the coalition with refuelling , targeting information and other logistics.The Trump administration and the United States more broadly have laid out the red carpet for Prince Mohammed, the 32-year-old heir to the throne, who is on an ambitious mission to modernize Saudi Arabia and improve its image in the West. After stops in Washington, New York and Boston, the crown prince has spent this week on the West Coast meeting with prominent business and entertainment leaders. He plans a final stop in the energy hub of Houston on Saturday before returning to Saudi Arabia.During Trump’s visit to Riyadh last year — the first stop on his inaugural foreign trip — the two nations announced that the U.S. would sell $110 billion in military equipment to Saudi Arabia. They said the deal could grow to $350 billion over a decade and include tanks, combat ships, missile defence systems, radar and communications, and cybersecurity technology. Tens of thousands of U.S. jobs could be created, the State Department said at the time.But no details were announced then, owing in part to the fact that the individual sales require approval from Congress that Trump by himself could not guarantee. Officials said the $1.3 billion in artillery and $1 billion in missiles announced during Prince Mohammed’s visit are both part of that broader package.___AP National Security Writer Robert Burns contributed to this report.___Reach Josh Lederman on Twitter at http://twitter.com/joshledermanAPlast_img read more

OSC gathering info on cryptocurrency trading platforms after complaints

first_imgTORONTO – The Ontario Securities Commission is gathering information on several cryptocurrency trading platforms after it received a number of complaints.The regulator says the platforms, and any businesses that allow cryptocurrencies that are securities to trade on them, may be offside securities laws.It says any platform that offers this type of trading must determine whether it is a marketplace. Marketplaces are required to comply with the rules governing exchanges or alternative trading systems.The regulator says to date, none have been recognized as an exchange, or exempted from recognition.The move by the Ontario regulator comes amid the rise of initial coin offerings, which may be used by companies as an alternative way to raise money.With little regulation, initial coin offerings have raised worries about possible financial scams.last_img read more

Netflix Canada plans biggest price increase yet as competition intensifies

first_imgDavid Friend, The Canadian Press TORONTO — Another price hike is on the way for Netflix Canada subscribers as competition heats up among the biggest streaming video services.The company behind “Narcos” and “Orange Is the New Black” is introducing its biggest price increase yet for both new subscribers and current members.Netflix’s standard plan will now cost $3 more — or $13.99 a month — to watch content on two screens at a time.The basic plan — which does not offer high-definition video and only allows one stream — rises a dollar to $9.99 a month.Premium plan subscribers pay $3 more — or $16.99 a month — for up to four simultaneous streams and ultra high definition 4K video.Netflix says the higher prices are effective immediately for new subscribers, while existing users will be notified by email before their bills rise in the coming weeks.The company most recently increased prices for most plans by a dollar about a year and a half ago.Netflix says the move will help fund upcoming TV series and films as well as overall improvements to the Netflix platform.But the company also faces intense competition next year as the number of streaming platforms in the Canadian marketplace with attractive offerings grows.Earlier this month, Bell Media introduced a higher tier of its Crave streaming service that includes a selection of recent Hollywood movies and new HBO programs. The package, dubbed Crave+, costs about $20 per month.Next year, Disney jumps into the market with its own streaming platform. Disney+ is expected to be stocked with movies and original series like a prequel to “Star Wars: Rogue One” and a Marvel superhero show based on the character Loki from “Thor” and “The Avengers.”Other platforms could make headway too, including a new service operated by Criterion that specializes in classic films, and CBS All Access, which is beefing up its library of original shows that include “Tell Me A Story” and “Strange Angel.” Follow @dfriend on Twitter.last_img read more

Sri Lanka expels 200 Islamic clerics

first_imgColombo: Sri Lanka has expelled over 600 foreign nationals, including around 200 Islamic clerics, since the Easter suicide bombings blamed on a local jihadi group, a minister said Sunday. Home Affairs Minister Vajira Abeywardena said the clerics had entered the country legally, but amid a security crackdown after the attacks were found to have overstayed their visas, for which fines were imposed and they were expelled from the island. “Considering the current situation in the country, we have reviewed the visas system and took a decision to tighten visa restrictions for religious teachers,” Abeywardena said. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince Salman ‘snubbed’ Pak PM Imran, recalled his private jet from US: Report”Out of those who were sent out, about 200 were Islamic preachers.” The Easter Sunday bombings that killed 257 people and wounded nearly 500 were led by a local cleric who is known to have travelled to neighbouring India and had made contact with jihadists there. The minister did not give the nationalities of those who have been expelled, but police have said many foreigners who have overstayed their visas since the Easter attacks were from Bangladesh, India, Maldives and Pakistan. Also Read – Iraq military admits ‘excessive force’ used in deadly protests”There are religious institutions which have been getting down foreign preachers for decades,” Abeywardena said. “We have no issues with them, but there are some which mushroomed recently. We will pay more attention to them.” The minister said the government was overhauling the country’s visa policy following fears that foreign clerics could radicalise locals for a repeat of the April 21 suicide bombings, which targeted three Christian churches and three luxury hotels. Sri Lanka has imposed a state of emergency since the attacks and given wide powers to troops and police to arrest and detain suspects for long periods. House-to-house searches are being carried out across the country looking for explosives and propaganda material of Islamic extremists.last_img read more

New look same production for OSU linebackers

OSU junior linebacker Raekwon McMillan (5) tackles Tulsa redshirt senior running back James Flanders (20) from behind during the first quarter against Tulsa on Sept.10. The Buckeyes won 48-3. Credit: Alexa Mavrogianis | Photo EditorLast season, Ohio State football fans saw Josh Perry and Darron Lee develop into NFL-quality linebackers. Major concerns before the start of the new year for the Buckeyes were the ability of new starters — junior Dante Booker and redshirt junior Chris Worley — to fill the holes left by the NFL draftees, and how well junior Raekwon McMillan would lead the unit. So far, Buckeye fans have little to complain about in terms of production from that position. After allowing 208 yards rushing in its first two games last year, OSU has allowed just 130 yards to this point on the ground.In addition to being stout against the run, OSU’s linebacker unit has not allowed opponents to score a touchdown. McMillan has credited much of the success to the play of the guys around him.“Every time I turn my head, somebody’s making a great play here,” McMillan said. “I’m just trying to find my ins and outs, trying to find my plays here and there. The guys around me are making me look good.”McMillan went on to thank the defensive line, as well as all of his teammates, for the high level they have played at so far.Although the man in the middle for the Buckeyes is considered to be the leader of the unit, Worley has been around for a longer period of time than McMillan with OSU. The fourth-year strongside linebacker played in 14 of 15 games for the national championship team in 2014, and recorded his first sack last season.Worley recorded four total tackles against Tulsa, while also defending two passes. His play earned him a champion grade from the OSU coaching staff.On the other side, Booker picked up two tackles against Bowling Green in Week 1, but suffered a sprained right knee and did not play against Tulsa. Redshirt freshman weakside linebacker Jerome Baker filled in against Tulsa, picking up five tackles and a fumble recovery.McMillan said he appreciated how well Baker communicated with the team, and how effective he was in his fill-in role.Linebackers have been solid for OSU so far, but will face their biggest challenge against Oklahoma. Sooners quarterback Baker Mayfield and running backs Joe Mixon and Samaje Perine have been the catalysts to a powerful Oklahoma offense.OSU defensive coordinator and associate head coach Greg Schiano knows how tough the task will be for the team come Saturday.“A lot of these guys have never been in this situation. A few of them have but a lot of them haven’t,” Schiano said. “As a coach, you just try to prepare them the best they can. I believe we have the right people here, but that gap between knowing and doing is the biggest gap there is.” read more