Food inspectionFacebookTwitterCopy LinkEmail
Officers of the municipal police foundno injuries on the victim’s body. They ruled out foul in the incident./PN ILOILO City – A man was found deadfloating in the river, police said. The 58-year-old resident Salvador Caminowas believed to have drowned in a river in Barangay Abilay, Maasin, Iloiloyesterday, a police report showed. Camino was last seen on Saturday sittingnear the river and he was drunk, it added.
Rain and winds are beginning to pick up in southeastern Canada because of Hurricane Dorian, Saturday.The National Hurricane Center says Dorian could make landfall in Nova Scotia as either a Category 1 or Category 2 hurricane later this evening.The latest predictions from Friday night say it would likely be centered near Halifax.The region should see sustained winds close to 40 miles-per-hour, with gusts in over 90.Four to six inches of rainfall tonight has the potential to cause flash flooding.Dorian is expected to move out of the area by Sunday afternoon.
By Natalie B. Anzarouth |FAIR HAVEN – Borough officials have authorized the use of eminent domain to acquire a vacant property at 626 River Road, a parcel the governing body has eyed for the location of its new municipal building.During an Oct. 9 meeting the Borough Council adopted an ordinance enabling the acquisition of the former Sunoco gas station if an agreement cannot be reached with the property owner.Mayor Benjamin Lucarelli disclosed the borough’s plan to construct a new three-story municipal building, which would house a police station, Department of Public Works offices, administrative offices, council chambers and a court room and general meeting area. The construction would also include 42 additional parking spaces.The mayor and council agreed that the level of services the borough offers has greatly increased over time and with it the need for real estate. Due to the deteriorating conditions of both the borough police station and the DPW, the governing body is seeking to acquire and redevelop the Sunoco property.The borough’s current police facility at 35 Fisk St. is a former schoolhouse that was retrofitted in the ’20s and no longer meets the needs of a modern police force, Lucarelli said.“It is infested. It does not meet any of the current building codes,” said Lucarelli, adding that the facility lacks ADA compliance, makes the processing of prisoners “highly problematic” and also lacks the appropriate locker space for the female officers. “This I find to be unacceptable.”Lucarelli described the state of the current DPW facility as being in an “advanced state of disrepair,” with roof leaks and improper heating systems. “It doesn’t meet any OSHA (Operation Safety and Health Administration) standards,” the mayor said.He said the borough investigated fixing the existing facilities but even a budget of $1.5 to $2 million wouldn’t fix many of the underlying infrastructure and plumbing issues.If the borough acquires the Sunoco property, it has tapped Eli Goldstein of Maplewood architectural firm The Goldstein Partnership, to draft detailed concept plans to be presented to the public.Lucarelli said the governing body hopes to purchase the property through negotiation but eminent domain is a viable option if a deal can’t be struck. According to Lucarelli, the borough has made several attempts to contact the property owner, including three certified letters, all of which were returned.Resident Diane Mevorah asked the mayor and council to be more transparent about the development plans and wondered why residents are just receiving notice about a project that is 18 months in the making.“We are being as transparent as practicality and statute allow. It would be impractical for us to start a conversation about doing a development on a piece of land that we didn’t have control of,” said Lucarelli, who noted the property had erroneously appeared on a Registered Open Space Inventory, which previously prohibited the site for government use.The plan is to build a smaller DPW facility and move on-site borough vehicles to a 2,000-square-foot structure at Fair Haven fields, though Mevorah expressed concern over the preservation of that natural setting, if that size structure with park maintenance equipment and vehicles is introduced.“The idea is to get the intensity of the industrial use out of the residential area,” Lucarelli said. “Same thing with the police station. What the state will allow us to do is to put the parks maintenance equipment in a facility there. What we’re looking at right now is just north of where the gardens are situated (just before the Methodist Church).”Lucarelli said the borough hopes to offset the cost of the project by subdividing the current DPW property at 1 Allen St. into 10 lots that could be sold.“After we’ve sold off the property, it would come to a net neutral payment for taxpayers. We feel this is the best course,” Lucarelli added, stating that the 35 Fisk St. site could also be sold and a state grant could be used to replace the on-site community center with a new facility in the town’s library.Though no concept plans have been drafted, Lucarelli said the construction would adhere to borough ordinances and would not exceed 35 feet in height.This article was first published in the Oct. 18 – Oct. 24, 2018 print edition of The Two River Times.
Ariel Vanguardia. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netPhoenix head coach Ariel Vanguardia couldn’t help but watch Glen Rice Jr. put up hotter flames than the Fuel Masters could muster when they lost to TNT, 110-103, Friday in the PBA Governors’ Cup. Rice scored 38 points to lead the KaTropa but eviscerated Phoenix for 20 points alone in the third quarter and that explosion helped TNT take an 86-79 over the Fuel Masters.ADVERTISEMENT UPLB exempted from SEA Games class suspension WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. “We put multiple defenders on him, and we forced him to drive because we know that he can shoot,” said Vanguardia at Smart Araneta Coliseum. “But today he was on attack mode and we weren’t able to a good job when he attacked.”Rice went 1-of-3 from beyond the arc and just one attempt from mid-range, and the he converted 13 of his 20 shots from inside the paint.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutAnd if Rice got trapped inside, his next move was to kick out to open teammates for jumpers.Vanguardia said they could’ve held on to their slim lead after the first half, 49-46, if they managed to at least slow Rice and TNT down in the third quarter. Read Next MOST READ Phoenix import Brown: ‘We’re not a well-respected team’ LOOK: Venues for 2019 SEA Games LATEST STORIES Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Catriona Gray spends Thanksgiving by preparing meals for people with illnesses Phoenix did score 30 points in the penultimate period, a highly respectable mark, but the KaTropa put up 40.“TNT scored 40 points on the third and if not for that explosion in the third quarter it would’ve been better for us because we were leading in the half,” said Vanguardia whose team now sits with a 2-6 record, and riding a six-game skid. LIST: Class, gov’t work suspensions during 30th SEA Games SEA Games: PH’s Alisson Perticheto tops ice skating short program SEA Games in Calabarzon safe, secure – Solcom chief View comments
World record holder of highest ODI score, Sharma said World record holder of highest ODI score, Sharma said people now ask him when he would score 300. “I dont change my preparation or skill work what people say. I know they will be talking. This is something Ive learnt over the years. It will not change. Its important that I stay in my space. To become the best possible I can. “All those things should not reflect. This is India therere a lot of expectation here. Thats fair enough. When will score 300? They have so much of passion for the game. Ive no issues. Its completely right. But they dont need to understand it?s not possible to score in every game. There will be losses on the way, its sport you will win some and lose some.” PTI TAP AH BS
DANANG, Vietnam – Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says it shouldn’t have come as a surprise to anyone when Canada declined to sign an agreement-in-principle Friday on an updated Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal.Trudeau’s decision to keep negotiating for a better deal in the 11-country pact led to the abrupt cancellation of a TPP leaders’ meeting on the sidelines of an APEC summit.His move created international headlines because foreign media reports had predicted TPP partners would reach an agreement when they gathered for the APEC event in Vietnam.But Trudeau says anyone who had paid closer attention would have noticed his signals all week that Canada would not be rushed into a TPP deal unless it was right for Canadians.Speaking to reporters today to close the APEC summit in Danang, Trudeau says the TPP trade ministers still made some progress by agreeing to several changes that moved the talks closer to a agreement.But Trudeau says despite the improvements there’s still more work to do, particularly when it comes to protecting Canada’s auto and cultural sectors.
TORONTO – Freedom Mobile will begin taking orders for the Apple iPhone X and iPhone 8 models starting Friday, with the smartphones in its stores on Dec. 8.While that’s more than a month after Canada’s three national wireless carriers began selling the iPhone X, it will be the first time Freedom Mobile has a full roster of Apple smartphones to offer its customers.The wireless arm of Calgary-based Shaw Communications Inc. (TSX:SJR.B) had previously been shut out of the Apple market because of limitations of its network technology.The company said Wednesday that it expects network enhancements to be completed by early December in Western Canada and early 2018 in the rest of Freedom Mobile’s area — primarily Ontario.Analyst Drew McReynolds of RBC Dominion Securities writes that having the iPhone ahead of the holiday period is an “incremental positive” for Shaw and Freedom Mobile and sets the stage for a more competitive market.Freedom’s iPhone X promotional pricing is “more aggressive than what we would have anticipated at this time” but availability and conditions attached to pre-launch pricing, such as high service fees, could “dampen” demand, McReynolds wrote.Formerly called Wind Mobile, Freedom is offering promotional pricing for orders placed by Nov. 30, subject to change or cancellation without notice and with certain conditions.For example, the three newest iPhone models could cost $0 if bundled with activation of a new service and a 24-month service agreement, where available. The cost of the qualifying service agreement varies by phone model.McReynolds said that profit margins for all the carriers could be affected by the cost of acquiring new customers and retaining existing customers but he believes the overall impact for incumbents “should remain manageable”.Note to readers: This is a corrected story. An earlier version said Freedom’s announcement was before the three national carriers, rather than after them.
VICTORIA, B.C. – The Select Standing Committee on Finance and Government Services has announced details for its Budget 2020 consultation.According to the Government, this consultation is an annual event where British Columbians are invited to share their priorities and ideas for the next Provincial Budget.Committee Chair, Bob D’Eith, says the consultation has been moved to June instead of the fall which will allow more time for the committee to put forward reviews and considerations. “Every year, the committee hears diverse perspectives and suggestions on a number of topics. Moving the consultation to June will allow for more time to review and consider this input and the recommendations put forward by the committee.”Residents can provide their input by speaking with the committee in-person or via teleconference at a public hearing. They can also send input via mail or through an online survey.A public hearing will be coming to Fort St. John on June 19, 2019.For more information, and to register, you can visit the committee’s website.
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Five students and two delegates travelled from the Peace Region to attend the Canada Wide Science Fair in Fredericton, New Brunswick.After successfully competing and winning their spots at the Regional Science Fair held in April, the group was amongst 409 other projects that were submitted to the Canada Wide Science Fair.Out of those 409 projects, three students from the North Peace were able to win medals for their science projects. Hollis Mattson, Grade 7 student at Devereaux Elementary, won a silver medal for her Underwater Soundscape project.Kyra Taylor, Grade 12 Student at North Peace Secondary School, received a bronze medal for her project ‘Keeping the Balance: The Correlation Between Diet and pH in the Equine Hindgut’.Emilia Dyksterhuis, Grade 7 Student, won a bronze medal for her project on ‘Spare Our Air: The Use of Algae Scrubbers in the Oil and Gas Industry’.Students received an all-expense trip thanks to the sponsorship of Shell, Encana, School District 60 Science Fair Foundation B.C., and Arc Resources.