Ecuador Attorney-General’s Office Investigates Alleged Human-Trafficking Network After Massacre

first_imgBy Dialogo August 30, 2010 The Ecuadorean attorney-general’s office began an investigation in order to dismantle alleged human-trafficking networks in the southern part of the country, as a consequence of the killings of seventy-two Latin American emigrants in Tamaulipas (in northeastern Mexico), a massacre that one Ecuadorean survived. “We’re already beginning an investigation, because the origin is here; these international organizations have their business partners – to call them something – here, and (they operate) basically in the southern part of the country,” the agency’s head, Washington Pesántez, announced. The attorney-general agreed to a request from the National Migrant Secretariat (Senami) and the Interior Ministry to begin an investigation, following the confirmation that a young Ecuadorean, eighteen years old and originally from the province of Cañar (in southern Ecuador), survived the massacre. The young man, who was trying to emigrate to the United States, survived after pretending to be dead and managed to escape with a facial wound. The 72 victims (14 of them women), who are believed to have been emigrants from Brazil, Honduras, Ecuador, and El Salvador, were murdered by organized-crime hitmen who were guarding them on a ranch near the town of San Fernando, located around 180 km from the border with the United States. According to official estimates, around three million Ecuadoreans, many of whom are originally from localities in the southern part of the country, have migrated in recent decades, chiefly to the United States and Spain.last_img read more

Eurowings launches two new Middle East connections | News

first_imgOn the same day, the first flight from Düsseldorf will take off for Erbil, landing in Beirut on the way. The flights are again offered on Tuesdays and Saturdays.From February, there will also be a direct connection from Stuttgart to Beirut. NewerLeone takes up leadership of Jumeirah at Saadiyat Island Resort Eurowings has confirmed it will start new direct flights to Beirut, capital of Lebanon, and Erbil, in northern Iraq, from next month.The flights expand the offering from the low-cost carrier allowing German residents to visit friends and family.- Advertisement – OlderSingapore signs air travel bubble deal with Hong Kong “We make this possible with attractive non-stop connections to the respective home countries. “We are seeing continued stable demand in this segment, even in the last weeks and months of the Covid-19 crisis,” said Jens Bischof, chief executive of Eurowings.Flights to Beirut will take off from December 19th and will operate from Berlin on Tuesdays and Saturdays. – Advertisement – Eurowings is considered a leader in this market segment and is expanding its position with the new flights.“Visiting families and friends is particularly valuable in times of crisis. “People of all nationalities regularly seek closeness and personal exchange with their relatives. – Advertisement – – Advertisement –last_img read more

Maurizio Sarri takes swipe at three Chelsea stars including Eden Hazard

first_imgChelsea manager Maurizio Sarri spoke to the media on Friday afternoon (Picture: Getty)Maurizio Sarri has taken a swipe at Eden Hazard, Willian and Pedro by claiming the Chelsea stars do not make it easy for the team’s strikers to flourish.The Blues enjoyed an impressive run of form under Sarri at the start of the season but the wheels appear to be coming off at Stamford Bridge.Sarri blasted his team following the defeat to Arsenal last month and was shocked by Chelsea’s performance on Wednesday, when they were beaten 4-0 by Bournemouth.Speaking on Friday afternoon, Sarri said Hazard, Willian and Pedro need to offer the team’s strikers more support and claimed Hazard must ‘do more tactically’.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTMore: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityAsked about Hazard’s recent performances for the Blues, Sarri said: ‘I think that he is changing.‘He was used to playing as an individual player, but now he has to play in a cooperative way. It is not easy for him as he became Hazard in another way.‘It is not easy but I can see now he is more available to play in this way. He is fantastic from the technical view and I think he can do more tactically.‘It is not easy to play in a striker with this team, we have a lot of individual players, like Hazard, Pedro, Willian, so it is not easy for the striker to make the right movement at the right time.’ Metro Sport ReporterFriday 1 Feb 2019 1:39 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link1.2kShares Advertisement Maurizio Sarri takes swipe at three Chelsea stars including Eden Hazard Comment Sarri says Eden Hazard needs to improve tactically (Picture: Getty) Maurizio Sarri wants answers after Bournemouth thrash ChelseaTo view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video Play VideoLoaded: 0%0:00Progress: 0%PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration Time 7:30FullscreenMaurizio Sarri wants answers after Bournemouth thrash Chelseahttps://metro.co.uk/video/maurizio-sarri-wants-answers-bournemouth-thrash-chelsea-1853078/This is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.Sarri also apologised to Chelsea’s fans for the performance at Bournemouth and called the result a ‘disaster’.He added: ‘First of all we have to say sorry for that, because the result was a disaster. I can understand them very well.‘They have to be patient with us as we are trying to do something great. We have to be patient, we will lose matches, but we are trying to do our best.’Chelsea welcome relegation-battlers Huddersfield Town to Stamford Bridge on Saturday.More: FootballBruno Fernandes responds to Man Utd bust-up rumours with Ole Gunnar SolskjaerNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira moves Advertisementlast_img read more

Alex Carey, Mitchell Starc Lead Australia To 86-Run Win Over New Zealand

first_imgLondon: Australia beat New Zealand by 86 runs at Lord’s on Saturday. Defending a target of 245, Australia dismissed New Zealand for 157 runs and thus recorded their seventh win of the tournament. Usman Khawaja and Alex Carey put up a 107-run stand for the sixth wicket to take Australia out of a precarious situation batting first after which Mitchell Starc’s fifer ensured that they pull off a comprehensive win in the end.Jason Behrendorff made the early inroads for the Australians early on, dismissing the New Zealand openers cheaply. Kane Williamson and Ross Taylor then propped up the New Zealand chase and their stand of 55 was the best that the Kiwis could muster. It was broken by Starc who got the big wicket of Williamson. The New Zealand skipper departed for 40 off 51.Ross Taylor was then starved for runs and succumbed to the pressure. He tried to go aerial off Pat Cummins and ended up skying the ball high up in the air. Wicketkeeper did well to complete the catch as the ball hung in the air for a fair bit of time. Carey was man of the match for his knock during the Australian innings and admitted that he has seldom seen a ball fly so high up in the air.Finch brought in Steve Smith and ended up reaping dividends. Smith lured Colin de Grandhomme into attempting a big hit and the ball ended up going straight down the throat of wide long off. He followed that up by taking a screamer off Starc to dismiss Tom Latham. Latham middled the shot well and was looking to get the ball to the midwicket fence but Smith flew to his right and pluck the ball out of thin air.Nathan Lyon caught James Neesham off his own bowling after which Starc almost got a hat-trick by taking Ish Sodhi and Lockie Ferguson off consecutive balls. Trent Boult had got a hat-trick earlier in the day and it was Boult that denied Starc his own treble. Eventually however, Starc got his fifth wicket by getting Mitchell Santner dismissed for 12.Brief scores: Australia: 243/9 in 50 overs (Usman Khawaja 88, Alex Carey 71; Trent Boult 4/51, James Neesham 2/28) beat New Zealand: 157 in 43.4 overs (Kane Williamson 40, Ross Taylor 30; Mitchell Starc 5/26). IANSAlso Read: Usman Khawaja, Alex Carey Push Australia to 243/9 Against Kiwislast_img read more

Overtime

first_imgBILL NEAL :9 And call they did! Some of you, no—a lot of you—called in to get me told about my “Top Ten Best Jumpers Ever” list.Here’s an update.“Neal, How you gonna have a top 10 without Jim McCoy? There’s a reason they called him “Jumpin’ Jim” McCoy!”•Tyrone “Moon” Howard…Duh!•Darrin “Skywalker” WaIls…YA think!•Myron “Air” Walker…The Quips Finest!I added them—you place them. Thanks for the calls.:8 So herrrreee we go!! Sorry Frank Foster, but you’re gonna love this:Top 10 Guards of All Time1. Ricky “Black Magic” Coleman2. Robert “Jeep” Kelly3. B.B. Flenory4. Hosea Champaine5. Ron Carter6. Myron Brown7. Bobby Byrd8. Dwight “The Iceman” Clay9. Len “Houdini” Johnson10. Norm Van Lier:7 Please Shut Up! You Do Gooders who don’t want to be touched when you go to the airport. They could strip me naked. I could care less as long as the plane don’t blow up. Please pat me down, rub me down, tickle me silly…I don’t care!!!:6 Get used to it boys. The top dog said you’re going to change how you tackle…And you’re going to change how you tackle or go broke. Period…End of conversation. After all, the league is only trying to keep you out of a wheelchair. If you need help on how to change your style without using your helmet, I have two names for ya…Jack Ham & Ray Lewis!!:5 How is it a quarterback throws a pass to a receiver on the 10 yard line, the receiver runs 90 yards for a touchdown and the quarterback gets credit for a 90-yard touchdown pass?:4 The Pens are on the move and “Sid the Kid” is back. (That’s all I can tell you. Everybody out there knows I don’t know anything about hockey!):3 Yeah, like the Yankees weren’t going to sign Derek Jeter…Mr. Steinbrenner would rise-up from his grave!:2 Auburn beat up on S. Carolina thanks to the machine known as Cameron “Cam” Newton. 6’5” about 240 pounds of arm, muscle and speed, and a very humble young man. But trust me when I tell you if he was “Joe Blow” at Does Not Matter University he would have been thrown off the team and his dad barred from everywhere for trying to hustle up the money on the down low!!:1 Last call comin’ at ya. The 35th Willie Stargell Memorial MVP Awards Banquet, Sunday, December 12th, at the magnificent DiImperios four-star restaurant in Monroeville, 6:30 p.m. cocktail reception, 7:30 p.m. dinner and 8:00 p.m. awards program honoring 4-time Super Bowl Champion Franco Harris, New Orleans Saints Super Bowl Champion Darnell Dinkins, Kevin Cameron, Tika Hemingway, Sheldon Ingram, Gloria & Russell Bynum, Sam Clancey, Bruce Atkins, Paul Seneca, Shayla Scott, Gilbert Brown, Beverly Walker, Bill Viola, Chaz Kellem, Kevin Davis, Joyce Ellis and others. Featuring special guests- Rod Rutherford, BB Flenory, Myron Brown, Armon Gilliam, Duane Woodruff, Jennifer Bruce, Karen Hall, very special guest Demetrius lvory from WTAE-TV…and of course the fabulous Diamond Models.Game over! :10 I know we’ve all seen it a hundred times and I know everyone has their own list. You got Rocky, Slapshot, The Natural, Bingo Long and the Traveling All-Stars and now Blindside. But I tell you what, you’ll have a hard time not making “Remember the Titans” the No. 1 sports movie of all time. Denzel Washington at his best, the true life history of the story, the music and the on the field action…It’s hard to beat.last_img read more

ATTENDANCE AND HANDLE INCREASE AT 2016 BREEDERS’ CUP – Saturday, Nov. 5, 2016

first_imgBreeders’ Cup will release a complete event recap with total handle, including separate pools, early next week. “The Breeders’ Cup exists to showcase the very best of Thoroughbred racing and we witnessed that over the last two days,” Breeders’ Cup President and CEO Craig Fravel said. “We want to thank racing fans here and around the world for watching and wagering on our event. Santa Anita showed again why it is such a spectacular venue for our championships and we also want to thank our hosts from the Stronach Group, its staff, our volunteers and the cites of Arcadia and Pasadena.” Common-pool wagering on Saturday’s 12-race Breeders’ Cup card was $109,055,897, a 3.2% increase over the $105,625,491 wagered in 2015. Common-pool wagering for the two days was $159,991,803 an increase of 6.25% over the $150,574,656 total in 2015. Breeders’ Cup Two-Day Attendance and Handle (common-pool) history:2016, Santa Anita Park – 118,484; $157,541,7372015, Keeneland Race Course – 94,652; $150,574,6562014, Santa Anita Park – 98,319; $151,794,1742013, Santa Anita Park – 94,628; $160,704,877 (includes separate pools)2012, Santa Anita Park – 89,742; $144,272,3322011, Churchill Downs – 105,820; $161,512,8672010, Churchill Downs – 114,353; $173,857,6972009, Santa Anita Park – 96,496; $153,271,1762008, Santa Anita Park – 86,588; $155,740,3282007, Monmouth Park – 69,584; $129,197,262 Saturday’s attendance at Santa Anita was the highest for any Breeders’ Cup day since 72,730 were on hand at Churchill Downs in 2010 to see legendary race mare Zenyatta in the final race of her career. The two-day attendance for 2016 was 118,484, the highest in Breeders’ Cup history. ARCADIA, Calif. (Nov. 5, 2016) – A crowd of 72,811, the highest single-day attendance for a Breeders’ Cup since the event switched to a two-day format, cheered on as blossoming 3-year-old star, Juddmonte Farms’ Arrogate, bested hometown favorite California Chrome, North America’s richest racehorse, at the wire to win the $6 million Breeders’ Cup Classic today at Santa Anita Park. Saturday’s on-track handle was $13,515,269, an increase of 3.5% over last year’s on-track handle at Keeneland. The on-track handle at Santa Anita for the two days was $20,694,235.last_img read more