Greece, Hungary announce coal phaseout plans

first_imgGreece, Hungary announce coal phaseout plans FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Montel:Greece and Hungary will phase out all coal-fired power generation capacity by 2028 and 2030, respectively – accounting for a combined 6 GW – amid efforts to improve their green credentials.“Until now, Greece’s power mix has been relying on coal and a new lignite plant is currently being built, which was supposed to operate beyond 2050,” said environmental group Europe Beyond Coal, in a note. It added the announcement – delivered by Greek prime minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis at the UN climate action summit in New York overnight – made Greece the only country in southeast Europe to have announced a coal phase-out date.Greece currently has around 4.9 GW of coal-fired capacity.Also at the New York summit, Hungarian president János Áder announced plans to phase out the country’s 1.1 GW of coal-fired generation capacity by the end of the next decade.Other major European countries like the UK have signed up to exit coal-fired generation, with Britain due to close all such plants by 2025, while Germany is still devising a staggered phase-out.More: Greece, Hungary to exit coal by 2030last_img read more

Committee to study regulating paralegals

first_imgCommittee to study regulating paralegals August 15, 2005 Regular News Committee to study regulating paralegals The Bar’s review is being undertaken at the legislature’s request Bar President Alan Bookman has appointed a 21-member committee to study a legislative request on the regulation of paralegals.Two bills were filed in the legislature earlier this year calling for such regulation, but after discussion with the Bar, neither was heard. But the bill backers, and two other lawmakers, wrote the Bar and asked it to look into the matter and warned if the Bar doesn’t act the legislature may in the 2006 session.Bookman noted that legislators had originally asked for the Bar to make a recommendation by this fall, but that isn’t enough time.“I’m asking this committee to try to come up with a proposal by February or March [when the next session starts],” he told participants at a recent Bar legislative strategy meeting.The Special Committee to Study Paralegal Regulation includes Rep. Juan Zapata, R-Miami, who introduced the paralegal bill in the state House earlier this year.Bookman said he sought a wide range of people to serve, including lawyers, lawyers who teach paralegal courses, paralegals, and a law office administrator.The panel is chaired by Pensacola attorney Ross Goodman, a member of the Bar Board of Governors and a personal injury attorney who also teaches paralegal courses at the University of West Florida. The vice chair is Jacksonville paralegal Tara J. Stringfellow.Bookman invited participation from Bar sections, and at their behest appointed 10 members to the committee. They are Susan Fox from the Appellate Practice Section, Lou Conti from the Business Law and Tax sections, David Rogero from the Entertainment, Arts, and Sports Law Section, Juliet Roulhac, (former president of the Young Lawyers Division) from the Equal Opportunities Section, Scott L. Rubin from the Family Law Section, Linzie Bogan from the General Practice, Solo and Small Firm Section, Shane Munoz from the Labor and Employment Law Section, Eric Virgil from the Practice Management Section, Brad Powers from the Trial Lawyers Section, and Z. Felicia Jordan from the Young Lawyers Division.Other members include Orlando attorney Joe Amos, Clearwater attorney Susan Demers, Tallahassee paralegal Sherry Elson, Tampa attorney and chair of the Law Office Management Assistance Service Committee Rafael Gonzalez, Coral Springs attorney John Hume, Clearwater paralegal Karen S. McLead, Tallahassee paralegal Johanna Phillips, and Tallahassee attorney and Tallahassee Community College Coordinator of Paralegal Studies Michelle R. Vasalinda.“The charge of the special committee is to study the status of paralegals in the state of Florida in light of the proposed legislation filed during the 2005 legislative session, which sought recognition and/or regulation of the paralegal profession,” Bookman wrote in his letter to the members telling them of their appointment. “The committee should expect to make a final report to The Florida Bar Board of Governors prior to the start of the 2006 legislative session.”The committee’s organizational meeting is set for August 17, and it will meet again in September at the Bar’s General Meeting of Sections and Committees in Tampa.last_img read more

Togo confirms its first H5N1 outbreak

first_imgJun 22, 2007 (CIDRAP News) – An official in the west African country of Togo confirmed today that poultry have tested positive for the H5N1 avian influenza virus, raising the number of African nations hit by the virus to 10.Yves Nagou, Togo’s agriculture minister, said the results were confirmed at a lab in Accra, the capital of neighboring Ghana, Reuters reported today. Preliminary tests in Togo had already pointed to H5N1, he said.The outbreak occurred at a semi-industrial farm at Sigbehoue, about 28 miles east of the capital, Lome, the Reuters report said. The farm, which is near the Benin border, received a shipment of chicks in February from Ghana, which in early May reported H5N1 for the first time, Nagou told Reuters.About 2,000 chickens in a flock of 3,000 died over a 2-day span, Reuters reported. Officials responded by sealing off the farm and culling and incinerating the remaining chickens.Global health officials have often expressed concern about the spread of the H5N1 virus in Africa because many countries have poor veterinary and public health services.The nine other African countries that have reported H5N1 outbreaks in birds are Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Cote d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt, Ghana, Niger, Nigeria, and Sudan. Human cases have occurred in Egypt (36), Djibouti (1), and Nigeria (1).See also:Jun 21 CIDRAP News article “Animal health experts fear loss of interest in avian flu”May 31 avian flu situation update by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organizationlast_img read more

Roberts frees Bourne End of market reins

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

UK sets out “battle plan” to try to contain spread of coronavirus

first_img“This is a national challenge … I think we’ll get through it in very good shape,” Johnson said at a news conference alongside England’s Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty and the government’s Chief Scientific Adviser Patrick Vallance.The government said its strategy was aimed at delaying the peak of the outbreak until the summer when the weather is warmer and the health service is under less seasonal pressure. This would also allow more time for the development of vaccines.Possible options include discouraging unnecessary travel as part of what it called a “social distancing” strategy, delaying non-urgent health care, and drafting in health professionals who have retired.If staff shortages impact emergency services such as the police force, they will focus on responding to serious crimes and maintaining public order. Johnson said the army was also ready to step in and provide back up to the police if needed. If the outbreak worsens or is severe and prolonged, the government said it would move from seeking to contain and delay the outbreak to mitigating its impact.The government will launch a major public information campaign later this week, run from a “war room” in the Cabinet Office, setting out steps people can take to limit the spread of the virus, such as washing their hands regularly.Johnson’s office said it would also publish legislation in the coming weeks which would give the government necessary powers to prepare for and tackle the outbreak.Whitty said he thought it was unlikely Britain would be in the situation of locking down individual cities, but all options would be kept available.Finance minister Rishi Sunak has asked officials to draw up “further measures to support the public health response, businesses and the economy as needed” and will give an update when he presents his first budget to parliament on March 11.Bank of England Governor Mark Carney said policymakers around the world were working on a “powerful and timely” response to the economic hit from coronavirus.”It is reasonable to expect a response that reflects a combination of fiscal measures and central bank initiatives,” he said.Topics : Britain unveiled its “battle plan” to tackle the spread of coronavirus on Tuesday, warning that as many as a fifth of employees could be off work at the peak of the outbreak.The United Kingdom has so far had 39 confirmed cases of the virus, and Prime Minister Boris Johnson said it was “highly likely” the country would see a growing number of cases.The government’s plan includes possible school closures, home working and cancelling large-scale gatherings to delay the peak of the outbreak. Businesses could be given extra time to pay their taxes if they are facing short-term cash flow issues.last_img read more

COVID-19: Govt partners with hotels to house medical workers

first_img“Accor Group [will] provide facilities for hospitals in Jakarta, namely Cipto Mangunkusumo Hospital (RSCM), the Gatot Subroto Army Hospital [RSPAD], the Sulianti Saroso Infectious Diseases Hospital and Persahabatan Hospital,” Wishnutama said at a press conference on Thursday. All of the mentioned hospitals, except for RSCM, are designated referral hospitals for COVID-19. While he did not specify which hotels would be used, Wishnutama said the ministry would pay the hotels at rates below the market price.He said the partnering hotels would be routinely disinfected and sanitized, adding that social distancing rules would also be applied in places such as elevators. The hotels would also ensure minimal direct interaction between their staff and the medical workers in the provision of food, housekeeping, laundry and other services.Medical workers staying at the hotels would also be required to wear protective gear, be sprayed down with disinfectant and have their body temperature monitored. The government has teamed up with several hotels to accommodate doctors and other medical workers on the frontline in the battle against COVID-19.Tourism and Creative Economy Minister Wishnutama said the ministry had cooperated with Accor Group, a French multinational hospitality company with hotel brands such as Fairmont, Raffles and Pullman, for the first phase of the program, which is set to accommodate 1,100 medical workers in Jakarta.As medical workers are at a high risk of contracting the disease, putting them up in dedicated accommodation can reduce the risk of infection for their family members or housemates. Wishnutama urged other hotels and hotel chains to participate in the program if they met the ministry’s requirements. The hotels have to be in the vicinity of the referral hospitals and must not have terminated their employees during the COVID-19 pandemic.“This collaboration is not only an effort to handle [the COVID-19 crisis] but also helps maintain the hospitality and transportation industry, which is an important part of the tourism sector,” he said. “The government urges all elements, including tourist industry players, to help […] Indonesia stop the spread of COVID-19 together.”Previously, the Jakarta administration had prepared four city-owned hotels with a total of 481 rooms and 773 beds as accommodation for medical workers.As of Saturday, Indonesia has confirmed 1,155 COVID-19 cases, with 102 deaths. (mfp)Topics :last_img read more

Wilson: Syracuse stands alone in ACC as traditional powers falter

first_imgThe Atlantic Coast Conference is, at its heart, a southern league — the Triangle in North Carolina its hoops haven. It’s added a bit of a northern flair in recent years, but the conference tournament rarely strays from its home in Greensboro, N.C.After Syracuse’s dominant performance against North Carolina on Saturday — one of the conference’s blue bloods — maybe it’s time for the league to change its thinking.Barring some sort of collapse or major dark horse arising, it’s tough to envision SU as anything but the dominant force in the ACC. C.J. Fair doesn’t see Syracuse losing many games, if any at all.“You’d have to have a total package, really,” the Orange’s star forward said. “And we’d have to have an off-night.”Seems easy enough. There’s only one problem.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“I don’t really see us having a bad game because we have so many weapons.”On Saturday, Clemson stunned No. 16 Duke. Virginia made short work of North Carolina State. And Pittsburgh stomped Wake Forest.The star of the day was No. 2 Syracuse (16-0, 3-0 ACC), which manhandled North Carolina (10-6, 0-3) for a resounding 57-45 victory in the Carrier Dome. All three Triangle schools fell on the same day for the first time since March 8, 1996. And with the Demon Deacons included, even The Post-Standard’s college basketball research machine Patrick Stevens couldn’t find the date when all four lost, but it’s not since at least 1945.In a wildly disappointing ACC, Syracuse is a powerhouse capable of embarrassing even the league’s premier schools. The Dome, which packed in 32,121 for the UNC beatdown, is the conference’s basketball oasis in — of all places — snowy Central New York.“It was definitely our biggest ACC game so far,” said SU forward Jerami Grant. “Playing against a team like this in the Carrier Dome was definitely good for us.”Welcome to the new ACC, Tar Heels, where the temperatures are a bit colder and you won’t be battling with just the Blue Devils for conference supremacy anymore.North Carolina won’t be ranked for the second straight week. Duke could fall out of the Top 25 on Monday, which would likely leave newcomers Syracuse and Pitt as the conference’s only ranked teams. Feels an awful lot like the Big East, doesn’t it?If it weren’t for these two, the ACC would be an even bigger embarrassment than it already is.Earlier in the season, SU head coach Jim Boeheim said that thinking the Orange could get through the regular season with two losses was “the height of foolishness.” At this point, any more than that would be a surprise.After Syracuse’s win on Saturday, Boeheim said that any of the top 15 or so teams could win the national title.“That’s college basketball,” he said.Syracuse is certainly one of those teams, but the ACC may not have another. It’s tough to count out the Mike Krzyzewski-coached, Jabari Parker-led Blue Devils, but by Boeheim’s logic, they have some work to do to become a legitimate threat.That doesn’t mean the Orange will cruise to an 18-0 debut season in the conference or sweep the traditional powers handily, but it means that anything less than a regular-season title in its inaugural ACC season would be a failure. It’s Elite Eight or bust for SU, and an even better run should probably be expected.Syracuse has started 16-0 in three of the last four years. Fair, who has been a part of all of them, said this one might be the best.“The level of competition we’ve played this year is better than previous years,” Fair said. “We’ve been well-tested and we’ve responded well.”The Orange is red hot and the clear-cut class of its new conference. The road to a championship in the south’s best basketball conference goes through frigid Central New York, and Fair knows it.“I think this is going to be a special year.”David Wilson is a staff writer at The Daily Orange, where his column appears occasionally. He can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @DBWilson2. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on January 13, 2014 at 5:19 amlast_img read more

If Steve Smith was an Indian his unorthodox style would’ve been welcomed claims former…

first_imgAdvertisement f4p4iNBA Finals | Brooklyn Vs2yrwWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre E698( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) 8kvWould you ever consider trying this?😱1vq032bCan your students do this? 🌚8wymdfRoller skating! Powered by Firework Trent Woodhill, the former coach of Steve Smith stated that his student’s uniqueness and unorthodox batting style would have been accepted in the Indian cricket system, where everything is “about the output”. The Aussie superstar was named as the player of the tournament in the recently concluded Ashes for his sublime form and now his formative coach believes that Smith’s unusual technique should be celebrated in Australia.Advertisement “If Steven was Indian, his technique and mechanics and the strategy around his batting would just be accepted,” Woodhill said in an interview with ESPNcricinfo.Advertisement “We see Kohli, Gavaskar, (Rohit) Sharma, Ganguly, Sehwag – all these players have unique techniques. The Indian system is all about output, about scoring runs. We don’t care how you do it as long as you do it’, whereas in Australia we wanted you to score well and we wanted you to look good” he added.The former Australian captain scored 774 runs in five Tests with an average of 110.57 which included three centuries and as many fifties along with a superb double hundred at Manchester. However, his peculiar batting style, especially while leaving deliveries, was criticized by those who still view Test cricket as a classical game. Woodhill though, is upset with those struggling to accept his uniqueness, saying this attitude can have a negative impact on a young player’s career.Advertisement “Young players need protection from both themselves and others who don’t like difference. A cricket dressing room can be a brutal place for a young player, who might be forced to conform – more so in Australia than any other country I’ve been in. In Australia we struggle with things that are different. We like a sexy Shaun Marsh thirty, made with a conventional, attractive technique, rather than an unconventional Steven Smith hundred.”  Advertisementlast_img read more