The legislation directs the finance authority to create a priority list for determining which water utilities get the first opportunity to access the fund. “For some of our smaller water companies, there’s no way they have the rate base to pay for the things that need to be fixed,” Soliday said.State Rep. Matt Pierce, D-Bloomington, agreed that Soliday is right to dedicate a large portion of the fund to smaller water systems.Otherwise, Pierce said, “That raises the temptation of just not doing anything, and then eventually you just get to a crisis where your system just doesn’t function. Now people are out of drinking water, which is essential to living.”The proposal next goes to the Senate, where state Sen. Ed Charbonneau, R-Valparaiso, is the lead sponsor.Charbonneau largely was responsible for ordering the studies and reviews that over the past six years uncovered Indiana’s tremendous water infrastructure improvements needed.His Senate Bill 4, which passed the Senate 48-0 in January, divides the state into water regions to promote local utility cooperation and consolidation; requires utilities to annually measure their water lost due to leaky pipes; mandates the governor appoint a “water czar” to coordinate state water programs; and creates a state task force to tackle stormwater management issues.Soliday is sponsoring that measure in the House. Soliday said the leakage assessment is particularly important because the Indiana Finance Authority found the state’s 554 independent water systems collectively treat and distribute 50 billion gallons of water each year that never make it to a customer. At the same time, Soliday said the priority list “can be abridged, if there’s an emergency like Flint or something like that,” referring to the lead contamination in the Flint, Michigan, water supply. The Indiana House last week voted 97-0 for legislation establishing an assistance fund that would leverage $20 million in state revenue to support loans and grants to utilities, which, with timely repayments, ultimately could produce more than $2 billion in water system fixes over 20 years. INDIANAPOLIS — Local water utilities whose ratepayers are unable to afford needed infrastructure improvements, such as new pipes, mains or leak controls, may get a helping hand from the state. “We lose a lot of water because the pipes are old, and a lot of it that’s processed winds up leaking out into the system,” he said. That nearly matches the $2.3 billion in water infrastructure repairs the Indiana Finance Authority in 2016 estimated are needed throughout the state.“This is a very important bill,” said state Rep. Ed Soliday, R-Valparaiso, sponsor of House Bill 1406 and chairman of the Indiana Water Infrastructure Task Force. “We’ve let this go for too long, and this is a really positive step. It gets us where we need to be in a timely way.”Under the plan, water utilities could request loans, no-interest loans, or grants from the fund if they are following several “best practices” required by the legislation.Those include compiling an up-to-date asset management plan, completing a water leakage study, showing a willingness to collaborate with nearby water system operators and maintaining sufficient revenue to repay the loan while continuing to serve water customers. The measure also requires at least 40 percent of the water infrastructure assistance fund be available only to utilities serving fewer than 3,200 customers. Water Loss Through Leaks A Major Issue FacebookTwitterCopy LinkEmail
LONDON (AP) — Britain’s official death toll in the coronavirus pandemic has passed 100,000. The unwanted milestone was reached Tuesday as the government considered imposing hotel quarantines on international travelers to stop new virus variants reaching the country. The government says 100,162 people have died after testing positive for the virus.. The BBC reported that the government plans to make people arriving from most of southern Africa and South America, as well as Portugal, self-isolate in a hotel for 10 days at their own expense. Quarantine hotels have been used to limit virus transmissions in Australia, New Zealand, China, India and Singapore but the practice has not been widely adopted in Europe.
View Comments Brush up on your emoji. TV Land has renewed Younger, starring Tony winner Sutton Foster, for a fourth season. The announcement comes just as the comedy enters its first week of production on season three.The series follows 40-something Liza (Foster) after she reenters the working world in the publishing industry by passing herself off as a 26-year-old. As she gets a second chance at her career, she must juggle her relationship with love interests, friends (both Gen X and millennial), her daughter, ex-husband and bosses.At the conclusion of the second season, Liza managed to keep her secret from her co-workers, and Charles, a senior editor at the publishing firm (played by Peter Hermann), expresses his true feelings for her. The series returns on September 28. Debi Mazar & Sutton Foster in ‘Younger'(Photo: TV Land)
Stohr put the world’s current production capacity for flu vaccine at about 300 million doses per year, which could possibly be stretched to 1.2 billion in an emergency, according to the AFP report. “We would hope that one of the major messages from this meeting to governments, to support vaccine testing, is going to get across,” said Klaus Stohr, head of the WHO’s global influenza program, according to an Agence France-Presse (AFP) report. Stohr said about 11 million euros, or about $14 million, is needed in the short term to develop a candidate vaccine, but private companies are reluctant to invest that much, according to a Reuters report. The H5N1 virus has caused at least 44 cases of human illness in Asia, with 32 deaths. The virus has not yet shown an ability to spread readily from person to person, but flu experts fear that it could easily acquire that ability through mutation, possibly sparking a pandemic. According to a Canadian Press (CP) report, Stohr predicted that up to 30% of the world’s population could fall ill if a flu pandemic erupted and that 1% of patients would die. But he noted that in history’s worst flu pandemic, the Spanish flu of 1918-19, 2.6% of patients died. In the United States, two companies have received federal contracts to make doses of a vaccine based on an H5N1 virus sample taken from a Vietnamese patient. The government contracted with Aventis Pasteur, Swiftwater, Pa., and Chiron Corp., Emeryville, Calif., last May to make 8,000 to 10,000 doses each. In September, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) awarded Aventis Pasteur a contract to make about 2 million doses. HHS officials have said that clinical trials of the vaccine would start late this year or early in 2005. “Without money nothing is going to move with the pandemic vaccine,” AFP quoted Stohr as saying. Nov 12, 2004 (CIDRAP News) The World Health Organization’s top influenza expert warned at the end of a 2-day international meeting today that governments need to fund the development of vaccines to combat a feared flu pandemic that could kill millions of people, according to news services. Stohr spoke at a press conference after a hastily arranged meeting of about 50 officials from vaccine manufacturers, governments, and vaccine licensing agencies at WHO headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, according to AFP. The agency, concerned that the widespread H5N1 avian flu in Asia could trigger a human flu pandemic, called the meeting mainly to discuss how to develop a vaccine for the virus. According to the CP report, Stohr said there is “too little momentum” in the development of flu pandemic vaccines. “We have a unique window of opportunity, which is that we could now get our groundwork done . . . to ensure that when it matters most to do vaccine production it can happen immediately,” he said.
ARLINGTON, Texas — A day after the radar gun readings heard ’round the world, there was still no indication of anything seriously wrong with Shohei Ohtani.Sign up for Home Turf and get exclusive stories every SoCal sports fan must read, sent daily. Subscribe here.Ohtani’s first pitching appearance in nearly three months was marked by a dramatic drop in velocity, but Manager Mike Scioscia and Ohtani both reiterated on Monday what he they’d said after the game Sunday.Ohtani’s elbow is healthy.“It is a little sore because I threw yesterday in a live game situation, but it’s nothing out of the norm,” Ohtani said through his interpreter on Monday. “I’ll see from here and try to prepare for the next start.” Angels’ Mike Trout working on his defense, thanks to Twitter Ohtani was throwing 95-99 mph in the first two innings, but 91-92 mph in the third, which set off alarms that maybe his elbow was not sound. His velocity dropped slightly in the last two innings of his June 6 outing, and afterward he reported the tightness that led to the MRI that led to the diagnosis.“Naturally a red flag goes up (with a drop in velocity), especially with what happened last time,” Scioscia said Monday. “But Shohei said he felt great. He had no apprehension about what was happening in his elbow.”Aside from the back and finger issues, Scioscia added another explanation for the drop in the velocity.“He said his delivery was a little out of whack and he wanted to make sure he could get the ball into decent zones, so he wasn’t really jumping on it,” Scioscia said.NEW PITCHERThe Angels claimed right-hander Luke Farrell on waivers from the Chicago Cubs. Farrell was optioned to rookie-level Orem, because all the other Angels’ minor league seasons ended on Monday. If the Angels choose to bring Farrell to the majors, the soonest it could be is Friday, after Orem’s season ends.Farrell, the son of former Boston Red Sox manager John Farrell, has a career 5.28 ERA in 30 games over the past two seasons, with the Kansas City Royals, Cincinnati Reds and Cubs. He has started three games.This season Farrell started in all 12 of his games with the Cubs’ Triple-A team, posting a 3.64 ERA with 10.1 strikeouts per nine innings.ALSOJustin Upton was out of the lineup for a second straight day after suffering a concussion on Saturday. Scioscia said Upton was “better, but not quite cleared to go out and play yet.”…Tyler Skaggs (groin) had a bullpen session on Monday in Arizona. Skaggs said last week he was aiming to be able to rejoin the rotation around the start of the upcoming homestand, on Sept. 10, and then make three starts. …Nick Tropeano (shoulder) is throwing, but still has not progressed enough to be throwing off a mound, Scioscia said. …The Angels are expected to recall another batch of players on Tuesday, following the end of Salt Lake’s season Monday. …The Angels moved Albert Pujols to the 60-day disabled list and designated Osmer Morales for assignment. They needed to create two spots on the 40-man roster, one for Farrell and one for Matt Shoemaker, who was activated from the 60-day disabled list.UP NEXTAngels (LHP Andrew Heaney, 8-8, 4.09) at Rangers (LHP Mike Minor, 10-7, 4.33), 5 p.m., Tuesday, Fox Sports West, KLAA (830 AM). Angels’ Shohei Ohtani spending downtime working in outfield Jose Suarez’s rocky start sinks Angels in loss to Astros Scioscia also didn’t seem concerned.“I think the most important thing is his elbow felt great,” Scioscia said Monday. “He felt nothing in his elbow, which is the most important thing. His back was a little stiff. He took the ball off his ring finger, which was a little sore after the game.”Ohtani said his back and finger — which was hurt when he reflexively tried to barehand a comebacker — both felt “fine.” He also said that he felt neither would prevent him from being able to hit. He was not in the lineup to hit on Monday, which is standard procedure for the day after he pitches.After missing much of the summer rehabbing a grade 2 sprain of his ulnar collateral ligament, Ohtani returned to the mound on Sunday and threw 49 pitches. He had been scheduled for 55 to 60, but the back and finger issues ended his outing a little early. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Angels offense breaks out to split doubleheader with Astros Angels’ poor pitching spoils an Albert Pujols milestone Ohtani’s next turn on the mound would be on Sunday in Chicago, assuming all goes as planned.Related Articles
Audley Harrison has not ruled out fighting again despite his crushing defeat against David Price on Saturday.The former Olympic champion’s bid to answer his critics ended in brutal fashion, with the unbeaten Price flattening him only 82 seconds into their British and Commonwealth heavyweight title clash.Harrison, 40, says he is considering his future and is likely to walk away from the sport.But despite being widely tipped to announce his retirement following his latest loss, he appears to be keeping his options open.“My whole gameplan was about avoiding his right, so to get lined up like that is a disappointment for me,” he said.“Father Time has caught up with me as I didn’t see the initial shot so could not react. He finished me off like a good pro, so I have no complaints.“I have said when I turn up to win, and lose to nothing other than ability, I will know my time’s up, so this could be my last bout.“I’ll take some time to think this out, as I never want to come back to boxing once I’ve walked away.”He added: “I started this journey as a 19-year-old juvenile tearaway, boxing at the Top Hat social club in Ealing.“If it’s to end here, what a ride it’s been and I’m grateful to the universe for allowing me to find my destiny and walk the precarious road my way.”See also:Harrison destroyed by Price in first roundHarrison announces return to the ringHarrison plans to continue boxing careerFollow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#TurksandCaicos, August 29, 2017 – Providenciales – Children with Autism are being especially considered by Beaches Resort Villages and Spa now with the addition of a new Sesame Street Character. Julia is a shy and winsome 4-year-old, with striking red hair and green eyes; she likes to paint and pick flowers and when Julia speaks, she often echoes what she’s just heard her friends Abby and Elmo say; Julia has autism.Rosemary Truglio, Senior VP for Curriculum and Content at Sesame Workshop was in the TCI for a special training.“…to make all children feel that they are recognized on Sesame Street. So by bringing Julia to the Beaches Kids Camp, they too will feel that they are included, that they are special and that they are amazing, and by having this activity, we are now also educating typically developing children and the general population what does it mean to be a child on the Autism spectrum, and I think that’s really important because with knowledge and understanding we have respect.”The new Julia joined Sesame Street initially in books, then this past spring, she debuted in a few TV episodes and now, Julia is here in the Turks and Caicos Islands; Beaches on Friday invited local media to come in for a peak.“Well basically the training that we did prior to this and also this training has changed it a lot, because it helps you to not label them, it helps you to look at them for what they really are and help them to be more comfortable in their environment.”Julia is amazing and is supposed to help other children with autism feel amazing too, the antics of Cookie Monster may be too much for a child on the autism spectrum, but not Julia – her demeanor is already proving, says Beaches, to be just right.“We go to see how he reacted to Julia, and it made him feel more comfortable from when he went to see Cookie Monster who is alway jiving and dancing, and he was a bit scared. So with Julia being here this will be great for us, we can offer better Sesame Street programs to kids of every dynamic.”The training took place all last week.#MagneticMediaNews Related Items:
County health nurses conducting health screenings at shelter for asylum seekers Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter KUSI Newsroom, Posted: March 27, 2019 KUSI Newsroom March 27, 2019 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – A group of County nurses are committed to keeping San Diego healthy. They are at a local temporary shelter for asylum seeking families to conduct health screening assessments on every adult and child who visits the shelter.In the past three months, County nurses have already completed close to 8,000 screenings as part of the San Diego Rapid Response Network.