Mumiyo deposits form in the vicinity of snow petrel (Pagodroma nivea) nesting sites and consist of fossil stomach oil (mumiyo), guano, and minerogenic material. Here we evaluate mumiyo deposits from the inland mountain ranges of central Dronning Maud Land as high‐resolution archives for paleoenvironmental reconstructions in Antarctica. Investigation of internal structures and chemical composition shows that the lamination reflects progressive sedimentation, despite the irregular outer morphology of the deposits. Detailed radiocarbon analysis demonstrates that stratigraphies are intact: 14C ages become successively younger upwards in the deposits. Fatty acid and n‐alcohol composition was determined on samples from eight mumiyo deposits. Dominance of low molecular weight compounds (C14 to C18) points to a dietary signal; however, the relatively low proportions of unsaturated compounds compared to fresh stomach oils indicates some postdepositional degradation. We found marine diatoms in the mumiyo, which potentially provide a proxy for sea ice conditions in the foraging habitat of the petrels. Age ranges of the investigated deposits suggest occupation of the analyzed sites by snow petrels from 17 ka to >58 ka. Changes in deposition rates point to higher occupation frequency in Petermann Range from 46 to 42 ka compared to the late marine isotope stage 3 and the Last Glacial Maximum.
The Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) has ruled that LaLiga games cannot be played on Fridays and Mondays without its approval.The first three round of matches for the 2019/20 season had already been scheduled by LaLiga, with Athletic Bilbao hosting champions Barcelona in the season opener on Friday, 16 August.But the RFEF’s competition judge has now rescheduled those fixtures. “Spanish football fans do not want games on these days,” the RFEF said.“Especially on Mondays, it is very difficult for fans to enjoy games.”In February, Alaves supporters held a mock funeral during their La Liga win over Levante in protest at the match being switched to Monday night for live TV coverage.La Liga said the ruling threatens their 2bn euro broadcast deals and a court hearing has been set for 7 August.Changes made by the RFEF mean the season will now open with Athletic-Barcelona a day later than originally planned, on Saturday, 17 August, with all other fixtures scheduled for Saturdays or Sundays.“With this illegal conduct RFEF officials are generating confusion in the national and international broadcast space, which accounts for 2bn euros in annual rights income for La Liga,” said La Liga president Javier Tebas.“These officials have no idea of the consequences of their irresponsible acts. This has no purpose, nothing will change, this only creates confusion, which is the only thing they know how to do.”This is the latest in a long-running row between the two organisations.They clashed over La Liga’s failed bid to play Girona’s home league game against Barcelona in Miami in January, after the RFEF did not give approval for the game.La Liga called the RFEF’s move “an attack” and said it is “the only competent organisation to set schedules and dates in the national professional football competition”.It claims the judge’s ruling changes nothing and “the schedules already indicated by La Liga for the first days of the competition will be those in which the matches will be played”.The RFEF said the judge made the ruling “due to the incompatibilities detected between the approved calendar and the days and established schedules”.In a statement after Friday’s ruling, the RFEF claimed responsibility for setting the days of the fixtures.“Setting the schedules is a competency of the League, while the days are of the RFEF,” it said.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
Officials say Silberberg claimed he had worked a regular shift and an overtime shift on the same day, when he only actually worked the overtime shift.The 16-month investigation also revealed the deputy said he worked a full day.However, records show he either did not leave his home, or worked part of his shift before returning home.Ultimately, investigators found 57 occasions on which Silberberg claimed to have worked the entire day, when records showed he had been at home for some or all of those shifts.BSO’s investigation found that over four months at the end of last year, Silberberg was overcompensated $15,540 for 368 regular hours and 16 overtime hours that he falsely claimed to have worked.He was arrested Thursday afternoon at BSO’s Public Safety Building.Silberberg has been suspended without pay. He had already been suspended with pay since February until Thursday’s arrest.He was hired by the sheriff’s office in 2006, when he initially worked as a detective in the robbery unit. Deputies with the Broward Sheriff’s Office announced Thursday they have arrested one of their own on charges of grand theft, official misconduct, and obtaining property under $20,000 by fraud.According to investigators with the BSO”s Public Corruption Unit, Det. Luis Silberberg falsified overtime forms seven times and lied more than 50 times about working a full shift when records showed he did not, thereby defrauding the sheriff’s office out of more than $15,000.
By Natalie B. Anzarouth |FAIR HAVEN – Borough officials have authorized the use of eminent domain to acquire a vacant property at 626 River Road, a parcel the governing body has eyed for the location of its new municipal building.During an Oct. 9 meeting the Borough Council adopted an ordinance enabling the acquisition of the former Sunoco gas station if an agreement cannot be reached with the property owner.Mayor Benjamin Lucarelli disclosed the borough’s plan to construct a new three-story municipal building, which would house a police station, Department of Public Works offices, administrative offices, council chambers and a court room and general meeting area. The construction would also include 42 additional parking spaces.The mayor and council agreed that the level of services the borough offers has greatly increased over time and with it the need for real estate. Due to the deteriorating conditions of both the borough police station and the DPW, the governing body is seeking to acquire and redevelop the Sunoco property.The borough’s current police facility at 35 Fisk St. is a former schoolhouse that was retrofitted in the ’20s and no longer meets the needs of a modern police force, Lucarelli said.“It is infested. It does not meet any of the current building codes,” said Lucarelli, adding that the facility lacks ADA compliance, makes the processing of prisoners “highly problematic” and also lacks the appropriate locker space for the female officers. “This I find to be unacceptable.”Lucarelli described the state of the current DPW facility as being in an “advanced state of disrepair,” with roof leaks and improper heating systems. “It doesn’t meet any OSHA (Operation Safety and Health Administration) standards,” the mayor said.He said the borough investigated fixing the existing facilities but even a budget of $1.5 to $2 million wouldn’t fix many of the underlying infrastructure and plumbing issues.If the borough acquires the Sunoco property, it has tapped Eli Goldstein of Maplewood architectural firm The Goldstein Partnership, to draft detailed concept plans to be presented to the public.Lucarelli said the governing body hopes to purchase the property through negotiation but eminent domain is a viable option if a deal can’t be struck. According to Lucarelli, the borough has made several attempts to contact the property owner, including three certified letters, all of which were returned.Resident Diane Mevorah asked the mayor and council to be more transparent about the development plans and wondered why residents are just receiving notice about a project that is 18 months in the making.“We are being as transparent as practicality and statute allow. It would be impractical for us to start a conversation about doing a development on a piece of land that we didn’t have control of,” said Lucarelli, who noted the property had erroneously appeared on a Registered Open Space Inventory, which previously prohibited the site for government use.The plan is to build a smaller DPW facility and move on-site borough vehicles to a 2,000-square-foot structure at Fair Haven fields, though Mevorah expressed concern over the preservation of that natural setting, if that size structure with park maintenance equipment and vehicles is introduced.“The idea is to get the intensity of the industrial use out of the residential area,” Lucarelli said. “Same thing with the police station. What the state will allow us to do is to put the parks maintenance equipment in a facility there. What we’re looking at right now is just north of where the gardens are situated (just before the Methodist Church).”Lucarelli said the borough hopes to offset the cost of the project by subdividing the current DPW property at 1 Allen St. into 10 lots that could be sold.“After we’ve sold off the property, it would come to a net neutral payment for taxpayers. We feel this is the best course,” Lucarelli added, stating that the 35 Fisk St. site could also be sold and a state grant could be used to replace the on-site community center with a new facility in the town’s library.Though no concept plans have been drafted, Lucarelli said the construction would adhere to borough ordinances and would not exceed 35 feet in height.This article was first published in the Oct. 18 – Oct. 24, 2018 print edition of The Two River Times.